Migrate from Raspberry Pi 2 to Raspberry Pi 4

Hey everyonne,

I habe installed and configured HA on an old Pi 2 that was laying around.
I followed this guide: Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io) nut I am still not sure what type of installation this actually is. Is it hass.io or hassos? I know it uses docker containers.

In the past week or so I went from testing to production because I discovered many very interisting and useful features.
So now it’s time to get this up and running on a new Pi (4B with 8GB RAM and 64GB microSD [A2]). But I simply don’t know how to do this. I have a lot of Addons running (AdGuard, Duck DNS, NGINX, Node-Red, Portainer…) and would like to keep my whole configuration. The image (and kernel?) for the Pi 4 is different, so I have to perform a clean install and migrate all my addons and settings.

Is there a guide how to do this?

Thank you!

You are running Home Assistant OS.

Create a snapshot, copy it off the card.

Make a note of the IP address of your pi2 (Supervisor System page).

Burn the pi4 image to the card and put it in your new pi.

Select the snapshot to restore during the onboarding process on your new pi.

Adjust the IP address of your new pi to the adress of the old one on the Supervisor System page.

Done.

2 Likes

It’s actually that simple? Thank you!

It mostly worked without any issues. Just the nodered-contrib-signal-client needed a little bit of work to come up and running again. Some other config nodes in Node RED had to be reconfigured as well. Not sure why.

But for the most part it was an easy process.
Thank you!

1 Like