Migrated to SkyConnect from Sonoff Dongle - Unable to pair some devices

I’m wondering if anyone else is having similar problems. I migrated from the Sonoff Zigbee Dongle Plus (non-E version, the old one) to the newly released Home Assistant Skyconnect. Migration went smooth using the “Migrate Radio” button and all of my 14 devices switched over seamlessly. I was really impressed by how easy it was. However, I later tried pairing some new devices, which I was unable to do.

The first device I tried pairing was a LoraTap 4 button remote. I already have another one that I went through the pairing process on the Sonoff dongle. That one continues to work after the migration, but I am unable to pair the new one on the SkyConnect. When I try pairing it, it looks like the pairing is successful but when looking at the device log on the device page, no button presses are registered except for the ones done in the pairing process (pressing a button to keep it awake throughout the pairing process). It has been more than half a year since I paired the first LoraTap remote so the problems could just as well be caused by other factors than the SkyConnect (like ZHA updates?).

The second device I tried pairing was a Philips Hue Dimmer Switch which paired without problems.

The third device was an Aqara Opple Wireless Scene Switch 6 Button which I was unable to pair. It also appeared that the pairing was successful but no button presses showed up on the device log or when listening for zha_event.

Looking at the visualization of my ZigBee network, the Philips switch shows up as having a connection to the ZigBee coordinator but the two problematic remotes show up as having no connection to the coordinator or any other devices.

I’m a bit at a loss to figuring out the problem. I have considered setting up the Sonoff Zigbee Dongle on an old Raspberry Pi to see if I can connect the devices on that but installing Home Assistant on that and setting up everything is going to take a while so I wanted to hear if anyone here has had similar problems or know of possible steps to take. Thanks!

1 Like

Update:
I tried migrating back to the Sonoff Dongle and was able to pair the devices without a problem. I then migrated to the SkyConnect again and lost the ability to pair those devices again. If they are paired with the Sonoff Dongle and then migrated to the SkyConnect they continue working - pairing them on the SkyConnect just doesn’t work.

It seems during the pairing process ZHA thinks the pairing was successful but the devices are never “told” this and stay in pairing mode. Pairing a Tuya Zigbee power plug, ZHA says that pairing was successful but the device continues blinking (staying in pairing mode). While in paring mode, I can send commands (turn on/off) and they go thorough, but when the Tuya device times out and exits pairing mode, these commands no longer go through.
This was also the case with the LoraTap remote, it stays in pairing mode after ZHA says pairing was successful.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Why doesn’t ZHA tell the devices that the pairing was successful? Or why does ZHA think the pairing process was successful when it wasn’t?

Any feedback/help would be much appreciated!

If you have a router device, test “Add devices via this device” from the router’s device page.

Not that you should need to jump through such hoops, but as a debug step.

Also, open as a ticket on github. No guarantee the devs see this in the forum.

I’m having the same problems with Tuya plug Opple switch 6 buttons and 2 buttons, Aqara temp sensors and leaq sensors. I tried with the default cable and with a 5m cable and no changes. I’ve tried smartthings hub and it works with all the devices. I switched to Skyconnect from z2m on old sonoff zbridge where all devices worked perfectly.
Hope they fix the problems because for now, Skyconnect does not work properly at all.

I’m having the same issue with the skyconnect (the migration was an absolute disaster so I ended up repairing everything).

The opple 6 button appears to pair fine but one weirdly brightened and dimmed everything within range and the other did nothing after apparent successful pairing.

It’s not pulled in a specific quirk or even managed to discover the make and model on add it seems.

I solved this by adding the necessary zhaquirk, restarting, removing and re-adding the remotes.

Issue with the skyconnect not pointing to the right quirks somehow?

Opple 6 button quirk for anyone that needs it zha-device-handlers/opple_remote.py at a6556fea6ab6400984094dcc88d7bd772e322e97 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub

Edit: this fix doesn’t stick for me. Quirk no longer applied post reboot or restart of core from the developers tools screen and needs a delete and re pairing to work again. Also needs adding via a device rather than a generic add to avoid weirdness.

1 Like

Confirming this error on my stock SkyConnect on Home Assistant Blue. End devices remain in pairing mode following successful pairing on ZHA.

2 Likes

I’m having this problem too, just migrated from Sonoff Zigbee WiFi bridge to HA Sky Connect. I am unable to pair any devices to the Sky Connect. I tried creating a new network from scratch, but still have the same issue. I’m on HA Core 2023.1.4.
Is there a fix for this yet?

I think I had the same issue with an IKEA tradfri shortcut button and SkyConnect (doing add via device with a physically close device) - red light was blinking whenever I pressed the button, even after an apparently successful pairing.

I have migrated back to my conbee II stick and all working fine now.

I have created a github issue for this post: ZHA and SkyConnect - pairing doesn't complete. · Issue #86947 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

also have been unable to use my skyconnect since getting it a month ago with the same problems. I guess I will need to just switch back to the sonoff and wait a few months to see if someone with more knowledge is able to resolve these issues.

Similar problem with me although I was migrating from sonoff wifi/zigbee bridge.
Old devices worked but I could not add new ones. Worse if I deleted a device it would not repair.
They would detect and go through process, but go offline immediately after.
Had no delete entire zigbee network and restart from fresh skyconnect radio install.
Now it works fine.

Similar situation for me as well… Was moving from the ConBee II to SkyConnect… The process to migrate things is well-documents and easy to do… ZHA saw all the devices, and could show me how they were connected, but I could not control the devices, and my automations obviously didn’t work… Good news was that I was able to migrate back to the ConBEE II, and all my automations started working again… I will wait and try the SkyConnect again in a few months… Perhaps then I will have some matter devices to test out too…