Migrating from HAOS to HA Container

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to ask this question. But, at a glance it felt like the best category to post this in.

Anyways, I want to move my home assistant installation from a raspberry pi running HAOS to run on a bit beefier server and I’m planning the migration.

Now, since im moving from HAOS to a containerised install, I expect some complexity. For example, the container version doesn’t support add-ons.

I dont have many add-ons, I got

• Node-Red
  • VS Code
  • Terminal & SSH
  • Mosquito broker

I wont need Terminal & SSH nor VScode any more on the new server. I’ve already migrated node-red to run on the new server so , and I’ll set up a mosquito broker running in a container on the new box as well.

So, my question is as follows:

If I remove all the add-ons from my legacy installl on the Pi. And do a full backup, should I be able to recreate that backup within in the containerised home assistant on the new server?

Also, does the backup contain the DB and the Zigbee configuration?

Hope these aren’t terribly stupid questions.

As far as I understand things right now you won’t be able to use a backup created by a HAOS install in a HA Container install.

But…

You should be able to just copy the entire contents of your config directory (where your configuration.yaml resides) - including the possibly hidden .storage directory - and place that into your HA Container install config directory. That directory will be the place that you added your mount in your Docker run command or docker-compose file.