Migrating Home Kit devices to new install?

I’m looking to get off my home assistant supervised install on Ubuntu because I’d like to move to a supported platform.

I know that I can export the configuration and then import it again at install time when I am setting up a new system but I’m wondering whether I will have to re-pair all my devices that are setup using the Home Kit controller integration. I had a bit of a hard time getting everything added in that manner and I want to prepare myself if I have to do it all again (it basically means an outage for a day while I make everything right).

So! If I export config and import it into a new install will have I have re-pair homekit? Anyway to make it so that I do have to?

config files and specifically the homekit related files in the storage folder.

Instructions:

So are you saying that everything will move over automatically when I export the snapshot and then import it again? I ask because I know there magic behind the scenes to let all of this pair correctly.

I can’t say for sure. I did it once, a long time ago when I moved from docker on one machine to docker on another machine. I don’t think I had any problems with my AppleTV 4 that’s acting as a hub picking up the new homekit instance as the existing one and continue working as if nothing had changed.

Ok, I suppose at some point I’ll have to give it a go and report back.

jjross,

Did you end up migrating your config? Or did you export your HomeKit devices and re-pair?

I ask as I setup a temporary VM and paired my HomeKit thermostats. However, I build a fresh HA Docker instance on a new NAS, but now can’t pair with that, as the thermostats are paired with the temp VM. Do you happen to know how to export the thermostats from the temp VM, so that I can re-pair?

All of the instructions from the Thermostat vendor talk about performing a reset on the assumption its paired in the Home app on your iOS device, which obviously isn’t the case. I had considered going to Integrations, selecting the 3 dots on the HomeKit Controller and selecting Delete. However, I am unsure if that will just remove it from HA, or will also go back to Apple / Thermostat vendor and reset the zeroconf se3tting, so that its detectable again.

Thanks

I wound up deleting and starting over. I decided to put all HomeKit devices through Home Assistant and then I added the Home Assistant HK Bridge to my HomeKit. I don’t use the native HK features of anything anymore and that seems to be working really well for me.

I’ve put all my HK devices on their own VLAN with not internet and it works great.

Were your devices similar, in that they could only be added to one HomeKit service?

Also, when you say deleted, do you mean you did this?

I actually started a brand new HomeKit hub and had to re-pair everything. It was a big pain.