Migrating to OpenZWave Beta

I’m trying out the new OpenZWave (Beta) in 0.110.0, and it’s unclear what I should be doing with my old zwave configuration.

I’m using the hassio and was able to set up the MQTT addon, configured Home Assistant mqtt to use it, installed the Open Z-Wave Daemon and configured it with my existing zwave network key, and added the Open Z-Wave integration. Lastly, I removed the zwave key from my home assistant configuration and restarted it.

Everything appears to be “working” - I see all the z-wave based chatter if I listen to the # topic on mqtt, but my old zwave integration is still appearing, and all my devices are still owned by that integration (see the screenshot).

Additionally, I still see the zwave section in the configuration menu (new user - forum won’t let me upload additional images)

And it shows the network as started every time I reset (new user - forum won’t let me upload additional images)

How do I finish winding down my old integration, and how do I migrate my devices to the new integration? Do I need to change the network key in OpenZWave to be different than the one from the old ZWave integration or is re-using the network key valid?

There’s also some configuration files in my config directory - do I need to clear them out?

• zwcfg_.xml
  • pyozw.sqlite

Thank you!

1 Like

You will want to use the same network key. You can haven’t both integrations installed at the same time. There currently is no migration of entities.

1 Like

I think you’ll need to remove the zwave: section from configuration.yaml, delete the extra integration from the integrations page, and then reboot.

1 Like

is this planned? ETA? thanks

If we used the same network key then won’t the devices already be included in the network? How do we then re-add the entities without excluding and reincluding them?

If you’re using a Z-Wave controller such as the Aeotec Gen5 USB Z-Stick, then the devices and the mesh network details are stored in the controller. When the OpenZWave integration starts up, it will read these details from the controller. You don’t need to start from scratch by excluding and reincluding devices. on the controller.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

My experience was that, while I didn’t have to start from scratch, some devices were not recognized properly without excluding and reincluding them. In particular, my Homeseer HS100+ switches came up as unrecognized, and would not respond to “refresh node” requests, until I factory reset them, and then re-included them. At that point they were recognized correctly.

I know this is repeatable behavior because it happened twice as I tried a couple different ways to install a new instance of HA.

Were they recognised with the same node number, or given a new one?

I’ve got a mixture of Fibaro, Aeotec, NodOn and Heiman devices, and all were recognised. The Heiman and NodOn devices are sleeping most of the time, and needed to wake up before they were correctly registered in the new environment. All the Node numbers remained the same.

Initially, the same node number, although in some cases the node info was missing/wrong. After I had to reinclude those, then they got new numbers.

Good deal. It was really only the one switch type I had trouble with. Unfortunately I had a lot of those.