Migrating to Zigbee2MQTT - can I still use Amazon Alexa to control Smart Plugs?

We use Alexa quite extensively to control some Wif Tuya smart plugs for example “Alexa, turn on lounge light” will activate the smart plug the light in the lounge is plugged into. The plugs are using the Tuya cloud for control.

Recently, set up Zigbee2MQTT to fix an issue with motion sensors. Deployed a new Zigbee Tuya smart plug to replace the Wifi one to extend the Zigbee range and called it ‘Lounge Light’ in Zigbee2MQTT. Given this plug is no longer using SmartLife, am I right in thinking I can’t use Alexa to control it or need to set up Nabu Casa?

Have googled quite extensively and have found a variety of answers but they seem to be more around using HA to control Alexa and not the other way round.

Thanks

You can use Alexa to Control HA based devices such as those devices handled via Zigbee2MQTT.

• The “Automatic Method” uses HA Cloud and is suppose to be the easiest to setup, although I’ve not tried it myself, and it comes with a monthly subscription.
  • The “Create an Alexa Smart Home Skill to control lights, etc.” method (see here) is the next choice that otherwise a lot of people use, but it takes a fair bit of work and some know-how to get it working.

Then use the HA Alexa Smart-Home integration to setup which devices you want HA to export to Alexa, at which point Alexa can discover these devices and then control them just like any other Alexa device.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into that further.