Migration from RPI to Ubuntu Docker - pointers

Hello all…I’ve been running HA on my RPi for several months now and it seems stable. I also run an Ubuntu server running docker with services on it like PLEX, my NAS.

My current HA is backed up to Google Drive every 24 hrs.

Any pointers on migrating this over. Docs say I should be able to intasll HA onto docker, start it up and grab my latest back up and restore from there.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The only supported installation method on Ubuntu docker is container. That is HA core only - no supervisor, no addons.

Supervisor is what restores backups so you won’t be able to restore from an HA backup. You can however move the contents of an existing homeassistant config folder over yourself.

Copy the HA config folder with hidden folder. If you using addins you may need to move these to their own container and reconfigure. Supervised is not supported but I believe still works, just throws error Msgs in log. I would still only use core however.

Some things require host network(things that use network broadcasts for discovery I believe) but I never use that and I’ve survived without issue. Just be prepared for this.

It really doesn’t. Can you make it work? Sure, given enough time anything can be made to work. As long as you’re a Linux expert prepared to spend tons of time fighting it without any up to date instructions or support.

Also it very likely to mess up what they already have working as the install process and supervisor freely changes lots of things about the host system.

If you want to run on Ubuntu, go with container install.

1 Like

Don’t forget the database: if you use the default settings for recorder only moving the configuration folder as @CentralCommand said will be enough.
If you use MariaDB for example with its addon you will have to run a MariaDB server for sure and import the actual database into it if you don’t want to loose your history.

I already migrated from HA OS to container (not supervised) and it was as simple as re-use my config folder in the new docker container and run a MariaDB server.