Migration problem from Raspberry Pi to Virtualbox

I have been running HAOS for about a year on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have other more powerful PC hardware, and decided to run HAOS in Virtualbox.
I did an HAOS backup on the Pi which took about 35 minutes and was 878MB.
I then restored it on the Virtualbox instance. So far, so good.
I’ll skip the part about setting up my USB devices - Z-Wave stick and serial adapter for X10 - those went smoothly to in the VM.
The devices and automations I tested so far all appear to work fine.

Where I start to see a problem is that sensor data history seems to be all gone.
When I take a new backup under Virtualbox, it is just 6MB, instead of the 878MB on the Pi.

I suspect part (most) of the backup data didn’t get restored properly.
The data is important to me, for example solar/energy history, so I don’t want to lose it.
Is there anything I can do to retain it besides go back to using HAOS on my Raspberry Pi ?

If you use the standard database, it is home-assistant_v2.db . Stop HA, copy it over from your Pi, restart HA. It might work if both versions are the same.

Thanks. I’m using HAOS, so it’s not as simple a matter to extract the file and copy it.
I was expecting the standard backup/restore facility to work, as it has in the past, at least when backing up and restoring on the same device. I’m frankly surprised that the restore partially failed.

Database can become corrupted during the backup.

Using the Samba add-on, it is just a copy-and-paste operation to copy the db over.

Is there a way to check if the backup is corrupt ? I have restored backup on multiple occasions, one just on Friday, and never experienced this before. But I was restoring from a backup made on the Pi onto the Pi, not restoring on another platform (migrating).

Check your /config directory. There is usually a home-assistant_v2_xxx.db file if HA decided your database is corrupt.

Thanks. On the SSD on my Pi 3B+, there is no “corrupt” DB file in /config .
On the VM, I do see this :

What could cause the corruption ? And how do I ensure I get a clean, restorable backup ?

So, I did another backup last night from the Pi, and restored it onto the VM.
It showed the database in /config was not corrupt, and I had all my history visible properly. I went to sleep happy around at 1am as this meant both the backup and restores had succeeded.

Then, this morning, I logged in to HA and all the prior sensor history prior to 4am was gone. And the database had been moved to corrupt state at 4:12am. Seems like there is a bug in HA, and it looks like I have to go back to my Pi one more time.

edit: there is an automatic backup at 1:55am of about 900MB on the VM (made by the Samba backup add-on), which proves the DB had been initially restored properly.

edit: found this in the system log on the VM :

Logger: homeassistant.components.recorder.core
Source: components/recorder/purge.py:250
Integration: Recorder (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 04:12:27 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 04:12:27

Unrecoverable sqlite3 database corruption detected: (sqlite3.DatabaseError) database disk image is malformed (Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/20/4xp6)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1140, in fetchall
    rows = dbapi_cursor.fetchall()
sqlite3.DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 895, in _process_one_task_or_recover
    return task.run(self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/tasks.py", line 113, in run
    if purge.purge_old_data(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/util.py", line 608, in wrapper
    return job(instance, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 89, in purge_old_data
    has_more_to_purge |= _purge_states_and_attributes_ids(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 193, in _purge_states_and_attributes_ids
    state_ids, attributes_ids = _select_state_attributes_ids_to_purge(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 250, in _select_state_attributes_ids_to_purge
    ).all():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 1388, in all
    return self._allrows()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 557, in _allrows
    rows = self._fetchall_impl()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 2291, in _fetchall_impl
    return list(self.iterator)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/loading.py", line 191, in chunks
    fetch = cursor._raw_all_rows()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 548, in _raw_all_rows
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 2108, in _fetchall_impl
    return self.cursor_strategy.fetchall(self, self.cursor)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1144, in fetchall
    self.handle_exception(result, dbapi_cursor, e)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1085, in handle_exception
    result.connection._handle_dbapi_exception(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2339, in _handle_dbapi_exception
    raise sqlalchemy_exception.with_traceback(exc_info[2]) from e
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1140, in fetchall
sqlalchemy.exc.DatabaseError: (sqlite3.DatabaseError) database disk image is malformed
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/20/4xp6)

Logger: homeassistant.components.recorder.util
Source: components/recorder/purge.py:250
Integration: Recorder (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 04:12:27 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 04:12:27

Error executing query: (sqlite3.DatabaseError) database disk image is malformed (Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/20/4xp6)
sqlite3.DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/util.py", line 130, in session_scope
    yield session
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 89, in purge_old_data
    has_more_to_purge |= _purge_states_and_attributes_ids(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 193, in _purge_states_and_attributes_ids
    state_ids, attributes_ids = _select_state_attributes_ids_to_purge(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/purge.py", line 250, in _select_state_attributes_ids_to_purge
    ).all():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 1388, in all
    return self._allrows()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 557, in _allrows
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 2291, in _fetchall_impl
    return list(self.iterator)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/loading.py", line 191, in chunks
    fetch = cursor._raw_all_rows()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/result.py", line 548, in _raw_all_rows
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 2108, in _fetchall_impl
    return self.cursor_strategy.fetchall(self, self.cursor)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1144, in fetchall
    self.handle_exception(result, dbapi_cursor, e)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/cursor.py", line 1085, in handle_exception
    result.connection._handle_dbapi_exception(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2339, in _handle_dbapi_exception
    raise sqlalchemy_exception.with_traceback(exc_info[2]) from e
sqlalchemy.exc.DatabaseError: (sqlite3.DatabaseError) database disk image is malformed
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/20/4xp6)

I restored my 1:55am backup around noon. HAOS on the VM has been OK with no database corruption since, but it’s only 5 hours. Still very strange that this corruption happened in the first place.

Sadly, at 04:12am exactly this morning - the exact same time to the minute as the day before - the database corrupt itself again.

I don’t have any automation running at 04:12am, so I really don’t know what’s special about that time.
The log statements immediately prior to the database corruption don’t offer any insight. They were about Google Cast devices (my Chromecast audios).

I guess I need to file an issue.

It is the time the database purge normally runs.

Thanks, that explains it !
Questions :

1. Is there a way to manually force a database purge to happen, so that one can check the current state of the database, rather than wait until 4am ?
  2. is there a way to salvage the content of my database even though it’s being detected as corrupt by the 4am purge ? Everything actually seems to work fine in HA prior to the database purge. There is about 3GB of data uncompressed that I’m not keen on abandoning.
  3. is there a way to stop the 4am database purge from happening ?

Thanks.

I have been doing a lot of Googling and found threads that point to ways to try to fix corrupt databases using the command-line sqlite3 tool and the commands “.dump” or “.recover”. It looks like if I go back to a 6/3 snapshot, I am able to fix the sqlite DB, for some definition of “fix”.

I then scp’ed it to HAOS and overwrote the db file in /config with this new version. But when I restarted HA, it decided to create a brand new db. I’m assuming it’s not a good thing to overwrite a live DB. What’s the proper procedure to do it ?

I even tried to put that DB file into an existing backup archive, but then my Frankenbackup.tar file was rejected when uploading it with “400 bad request”. I assume there is some sort of integrity check going on, hash, signature or just size check. I didn’t try to dig to see which it was.

Any help on fixing the broken DB on HAOS is appreciated.