Missing Supervisor Tab - Docker Installation on Linux

Hey everyone, I recently flipped from the Python V-Env back to docker for update simplicity. However I’m now not seeing the Supervisor tab in my install. Any ideas? Thanks

Installed with -
docker run --init -d --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=America/New_York" -v /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant:/config --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:stable

Unless I’m mistaken you’ve installed the ‘core’ version rather than the supervised version. Not sure which version of linux you’ve installed but one of the community guides like Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10 should point you in the right direction.

1 Like

You are running Home Assistant Container (see installation type). This is just Home Assistamt Core in a docker container, no supervisor, no-add-ons, automatic backups etc.

1 Like

Home Assistant Installation Methods

Name Required Skills Includes Supervisor Supports Add-ons Supports Snapshots Includes Operating System Uses Docker Method
OS Novice (1) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: Disk image (2)
Supervised Linux, Docker :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: Shell script (3)
Container Linux, Docker :x: :x: :x: :x: :heavy_check_mark: Docker container (4)
Core Linux :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: Python app (5)
Note Description
1 Ability to follow instructions to burn an SD card.
2 Burn disk image, for your model of single-board computer, to SD card or as a Virtual Machine.
3 Execute shell script on an existing instance of Debian linux on a dedicated machine.
4 Install docker container in an existing docker environment.
5 Install python app, preferably in a virtual python environment.
4 Likes

The method I used was followed from the docs on docker. Is there another document somewhere that I missed that shows the supervised docker installation?

1 Like

Here’s the first line of those instructions:

These below instructions are for an installation of Home Assistant Core running in your own Docker environment

It clearly states you will be installing Core in a Docker environment. That means the core Home Assistant application (what you had when you installed it in python virtual environment) and nothing more. If you check Developer Tools > Info > System Health you will see that installation_type indicates Home Assistant Container.

The installation process for the Supervised edition is more complex than the Container edition. It requires you install several prerequisites and then execute an installation script. The Community Guides section of this forum contains instructions for installing Supervised on several distros of Linux. However, the only one that is officially supported is Debian.

2 Likes