mmWave Presence Detection - ESPHome style

A fan will absolutely trigger it.

Air movement makes a sheet/curtain/plant move? Triggered.

Interfer with wifi? Don’t see how unless you find a 5Ghz sensor.

1 Like

I have mine ceiling mounted in the bathroom and a candle burning in there will set it off.

Hello, this is a very interesting project.
Have you think about attaching the PIR directly, and not using an additional device?
Also attaching 2 dfrobot sensors for bigger detection zone?
Will they interfere with each other?

Good questions. I have considered adding a PIR. Since I already had a Hue PIR I didn’t pursue that further in this first iteration. My second iteration, using a POE ESP32, I will absolutely be including a PIR :wink:

While I do have two of these sensors deployed, each in a different room; there is no frequency/channel adjustment as far as I am aware. And would assume that interference is likely if in close proximity.

I do have other radars that are more expensive that offer frequency/channel adjust. Just not in the same price range.

Testing of the POE+mmwave+PIR has begun. Interestingly enough, placed side-by-side with an existing deployment didn’t seem to have any interference (15 min test to date).

If you are interested in building your own 60GHz detector, I would love to see a post from you here:
DIY 60GHz Radar sensor to solve the nasty motion-sensor problem

Nice progress here with the 24GHz sensor, if there where not the gov rules by EU and U.S., that would be my Motions sensor.

Is there an off the shelf mmwave sensor that I can just buy and integrate into HA? Anyone have a good amazon link for example? I don’t quite have the skills to build my own boards, but I would love to just buy one, and integrate it into ESPHome and HA. I’m in the US

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I’m new to home assistant and arduino/esphome. But every free time i have i spend reading and tring. I can’t figure out where you enter these parameters from the first post? Also as i read in the wiki the sensor should work on 3.3v . Mine is now connected to 3v3. But i have error in the log.

13:08][D][text_sensor:067]: 'uart_readline': Sending state 'Error'
[20:13:10][D][text_sensor:067]: 'uart_readline': Sending state 'leapMMW:/>             '
[20:13:10][D][text_sensor:067]: 'uart_readline': Sending state 'leapMMW:/>[D][text_sensor:067]: 'uart_readline': Sending state 'leapMMW:'
[20:13:10][D][text_sensor:067]: 'uart_readline': Sending state '[D][text_sensor:067]: is not recognized as a CLI command'

I have just installed esphome and put your code with adjusted gpio values.

Any idea?

I see the following for supply voltage in the wiki:

• Power Supply: 3.6~5V

I never tested it at 3.3V and would expect it to be unreliable outside the manufacturer’s specification.

As for troubleshooting - best to start a fresh post with the yaml you deployed, logs and steps taken to reproduce.

Finally it is working… On 3v3 (i will test with 5 to see the difference) At least i see it in logs. But home assistant does not read it. I was using the same uart for the sensor and the logger.

Can you tell me how do you send the parameters?

They are sent individually in the Services section of Developer Tools

You will see confirmation in the devices logs when you send them.

I’d buy these assembled.

1 Like

@crlogic I would like to try with SEN0395 as your experience seems good with. The question that I have is why EU stop with 24Ghz ?
I’m not really care about what they put in the law because they change always their mind but what is the real risk here ? health or may be device can be in trouble with future 5g antenna for smartphone ?
Also I’m having some TOF sensor but I’m not achieve to have the sensor communicate with a ESP in I2C. I was considering those also as a good added value combined with PIR for presence detection but thinking on mmwave also…

Can’t help with those things mate.

Thanks for posting this. Have ordered a pair of DFRobot sensors and can’t wait to try it out!
PIR sensors working reasonably well about the house apart from a couple of rooms. Hoping this will remedy the issue.

Glad it helps. Sometimes a mix of ingredients is useful so here is a mmWave + PIR build should you find combining them helps, Low-latency presence sensor: mmWave + PIR using ESPHome

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye and dig deep on both threads. I may well be back with questions for ya next week once the sensors arrive! Thanks for the spark & inspiration

The EU didn’t ‘stop’ 24GHz. This law only affects ultrawideband operations in that spectrum (things like vehicle radars for self driving cars), 24GHz narrowband is not affected. It has nothing to do with health, it’s because the spectrum just above the free to use 24GHz band has been licensed (=sold) to 5G operators and cheap unregulated UWB devices were spamming over the entire spectrum, making it unusable. It’s not only the EU btw, the US and pretty much the rest of the western world did the same.

Don’t worry, you and your device will be fine.

2 Likes

does it see-through wall,

Yes.