mmWave Presence Detection - ESPHome style

Ah ok. Can I change this?

You could try testing with reduced distance and sensitivity in order to try and determine where the motion might be being detected. Donā€™t be afraid to try 0.15M distance and work your way higher.

I never really managed to get my sensor tuned in properly when I setup the device, just got back from holiday and decided Iā€™d give calibration another go and make use of it. Surprised to see so much has changed since I originally set the device up! Thanks for all the hard work, glad itā€™s easier to update the code now without needing to copy and paste my config to the top too. Now to just remember to check back now and again!

I have a feeling this will be a common trend since we (collectively) have not had the experience working with sensors that record any small movement. We wanted ā€œbetter than PIRā€ and now that we have it, oh boyā€¦ haha

Another common ask, from myself included, has been for ā€œmore coverage.ā€ Hence me getting a 100Ā°x100Ā° version. But we might all be going in the wrong direction.

I put that sensor in a larger room of mine, and well, it catches ā€œeverythingā€.

Think I might try a different approach next and try and get a couple of the ā€œnarrow FOVā€ version (Angle: 60Ā°Ć—40Ā°) for a more targeted [sic] approach.

Yeah the coverage issue is the kicker for me really. Our living room is looking like weā€™ll require at least 2 of these for full accurate coverage, even though itā€™s only 5.5m x 5.5m (in an L shape). Iā€™m getting detection stood up but as soon as I sit on the sofa it loses it sadly, I imagine due to the vertical detection range. For now Iā€™ll probably just chuck it on the TV stand and detect if someone is on the sofa at the very least. I do wonder how good the Aqara ones are as a packaged solution.

Actually itā€™d be an awesome comparison between bothā€¦ I have 2 df robot that I have to setup, but wouldnā€™t mind to pay for the aqara if the performance is similar

He/She/They who designed L-shaped rooms did not consider us!

Iā€™m working on the actual impact of anglesā€¦ ā€¦mine will detect at 90Ā° or -270Ā° facing front if you are <1M :wink:

Whatā€™s the ā€œstraight-line distanceā€ from sensor to sofa? And roughly what angle from sensor face?

I donā€™t have one. And I keep reading conflicting reports of ā€œtakes 2-5 seconds to detection motion/presenceā€. Maybe motion, maybe presenceā€¦ ā€¦hard to keep track!

I have the aqara as well as 2 x ā€˜crlogicā€™ sensors.

The only benefit of the aqara is that it is prepackaged. The ā€˜crlogicā€™ sensor beats it in every other way. The aqara does take about 5 seconds for me (compared side by side with a hue motion sensor) and it needs an occasional presence reset switch to be flipped else it gets stuff in detected mode.

I will at some point try to pickup the wider angle sensor, but other than that the ā€˜crlogicā€™ is fantastic.

Youā€™ve done a huge amount of work on this with skills I can only dream of, and shared the output with the community. If I could nominate you for a contributions to home assistant award I would do so instantly.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reviewā€¦ I wonā€™t spend my money in aqara that arenā€™t usually what I expect them to be! Just have to manage to find some good guide to calibrate my 3d printer or just order it online lol

Who will winā€¦? ā€¦I havenā€™t left the couch.

1 Like

Anyone else have issues with the binary sensor ā€œBecame unavailableā€ after a period of time. It appears the device reboots, the red light lights up for a few seconds on the SEN0395. Anyone have any ideas? I have two of these that do the same thing, both based on Wemos D1 and otherwise running without issue. Distance at 3m and timeout at 10s, sensitivity 4.

unavailable

Iā€™ve seen a bunch of threads on the topic and at times experienced it myself. I do not believe that I have seen a consensus on a single cause/resolution.

So while Iā€™ve found a recipe that works for me, no guarantees it works for you. Ever since using the following, Iā€™ve not had any repeat issues across a dozen and a half ESPHome deployments.

Recipe

WIFI Settings

• a separate 2.4Ghz SSID the eternal debate, take it to Reddit :stuck_out_tongue:
    ** only enable the basics on this SSID (no Fast roaming/transition etc.)
    ** DTIM 1
    ** power saving off

WIFI Coverage

• ensure all ESP devices are better than -70db RSSI
    ** yes can they work below that. Has it been as stable for me over the long-term? No. Will one person swear itā€™s fine for them? Yes. lol
    *** if someone can find the chart that I remember seeing, but cannot find again, where IDF uses a -70db trigger for roaming, let me know.

General Network Principle

• I prefer static IPā€™s and PiHoleā€™s while not relying upon mDNS.

ESPHome Settings

• static IP
  • mDNS disabled
  • wifi power_saving none

I realize that I just posted nine opinions that someone will loatheā€¦ ā€¦what have i done! :exploding_head:

Thanks, I had already started down the path of static IP reservations for the devices after I posted the message, but within a few minutes one rebooted again just to laugh in my face :smile:

I will work through some of the other ideas. Iā€™m using unifi APs along with OPNsense so I have all kinds of ways to break adjust the wireless. If I come across something that works for me I will post that info.

Thanks!

Same here. And since Iā€™ve had at least five custom fw builds in the last 7 days alone; fw mattersā€¦

Iā€™m getting these same error messagesā€¦ What did you do to fix them?

Unfortunately everything I tried, including those from crlogic above, didnā€™t help and the issue still occurred. Only suggestion I didnā€™t try was the separate SSID for 2.4ghz as that causes a bunch of headaches for me.

I just finished connecting up some ESP32 devices to the DFRobots and so far things have been better, but itā€™s only been an hour or so since putting them in place.

Donā€™t overlook firmware. Try the last 10 EAā€™s. No joke.

How does the DFRobot hold up to others? Letā€™s find outā€¦

mmWave Wars: one sensor (module) to rule them all

1 Like

Iā€™m having a tough time getting Arduino SDK to work with my chosen setup of esp32-c3-devkitm-1 in ESPHome. Any chance this can be made to work with the Espressif SDK or is Arduino a requirement?

Seems like a technical possibility. Iā€™ve only just learned enough to make it work w/ ESPHome using Arduino framework. So you would have to translate the Arduino bitsā€¦