Mobile notifications not working

Im setting up a test with android and a simple door contact running on an esp32. I have confirmed that the contact is changing state and can see that state change reflected with a entity card on HA dashboard, yet still no mobile notification.

This is what I have

automation:
  - alias: 'tree lamp notification'
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: door2
      to: 'open'
    action:
      - service: notify.mobile_app_SM-G973F
        data:
          title: "Lights"

Any ideas? Thanks

that is not a valid service name, they should be all lower case and no dashes. Look up the correct service name under the developer tools > services tab.

I am only seeing a notification for iPhones, nothing shows for android even though the device is an enabled entity.

For what it’s worth, mine is broken too lately

All my node-red and hass automations using notifications no longer display notifications on my android phone. Even calling the service from Developer Tools succeeds, but nothing makes it through to the phone:

service: notify.mobile_app_lizzie_6
data:
  title: Test title

I’ve already checked the app’s notification settings in Android.

1 Like

Do you happen to see anything in logs? How are you triggering this, are you using a automation because I can see nothing in my logs to even show that the automation is being triggered.

I’m using home assistant automations, I’m using node-red, and I’m using the Services tab under Developer Tools. None of them error out. There is nothing in the logs. These are all methods that used to work just fine for me.

Nothing has changed on my android app or my phone either :woman_shrugging:

Further, looking in notifications history it looks like they stopped at the beginning of the month.

1 Like

I think what’s really important here is, did you remember to take your allergy meds when the notifications stopped?

Ok, so I think I found the issue.

I added

automation: !include automations.yaml

to my configuration.yaml and now notifications work. Also now added automations actually also display in the UI which they werent before. It seems that this line has fixed a few issues with my automations not working or displaying correctly.

FWIW the way I resolved this was to just completely wipe all the application data and cache and set it up from scratch. I changed absolutely nothing in Home Assistant itself, I just reconnected the cleared out mobile app and it started working again. Been holding out for months now.

I had this same problem. Sometimes the notifications would send, sometimes they wouldn’t. The solution was to change my automations from using the notify service to using the specific notification service for the devices I wanted to receive the notifications. Before I did that, most devices would receive notifications, but sometimes wouldn’t. After changing the automation to use device specific notification services, the notifications arrive 100% of the time.

To be fair, the docs to call this out specifically. I never would have expected the notify service to work how it does.

Be aware that you might want to change the actual service to whatever service you are actually using since notify.notify is shorthand for the first notify service the system can find and might therefore not be working as intended.

Yea notifications work fine now, but for the life of me from 3 devices the only one I can’t get working is the ios device.

Tried everything. Stuck for ideas.

The only device I cannot get this working on is the ios device