Moes Smart Knob – Extracting values from a fired event to use in an automation

Up until now, I have only created basic automations using the GUI of Home Assistant. Recently, I purchased a Moes Knob from Aliexpress and discovered two Blueprints compatible with it.

The problem:
When using the knob, it logs the following output:

Turn Knob Step event was fired with parameters: {'step_mode': 0, 'step_size': 13, 'transition_time': 1, 'options_mask': None, 'options_override': None}

Here, step_mode: 0 or 1 indicates whether the knob was turned right or left, respectively. The step_size shows how far the knob was turned, in increments of 13. However, the Blueprints I found only respond to the direction the knob is turned, without considering the step_size.

My question is: How can I create an automation that triggers when the knob is turned and extracts the corresponding values (step_mode and step_size) to use them as a basis for further actions, such as adjusting the volume of a media player or dimming lights based on the step_size?

I would appreciate any guidance on how to approach this and would be happy to share my results if I get it up and running!

hi nolomuti,

I personally don’t know because I don’t have the hardware, but your best resource is the blueprints that you said you found.

Import them. They might do exactly what you want to do. If not, convert them to an automation ( there is a button there for that) and look at the code, see what they did, and build your own thing off of that.