Monitoring a BBQ with HA and CloudBBQ

Having the same issue, but also have to say I’m an absolute novice w.r.t. Arduino sketches (have dabbled a bit in ESPhome and managed to get a few things working :))

There doesnt seem to be a file in the git which is openable by Arduino. Have looked at all the files in there and noticed the platformio file, so also looked at that a bit, but it ended up being more confusing then helpfull…would love some assistance!

Another one ESP32 based

ESP32 BLE Client for the Weber iGrillv2 and v3 Devices

Just to let you know I figured it out :smiley:

as already hinted on in my previous message, the response from @Climber10293 put us on the wrong track as the code linked to is Platformio code, and as such cannot be loaded into Arduino…(I think)

After some fiddling I got it up and running using vscode with the platformio stuff enabled!

Now just to figure out how to get it into HA as I do see the values popping up (using mosquitto as a broker) if I just listen to the topic via the integrations page, but creating a sensor (based on the yaml from @Nathan_Byrer) with that topic listed does not seem to do anything if I add it as a normal sensor to my lovelace UI…

Anyway, hope this helps!

edit: already figured out the issue…the esp32 code sends an integer as mqtt code…so just replacing
"{{ value_json.value }}" with "{{ value_json }}" did the trick!

Just added Inkbird IBT-4XS to OpenMQTTGateway development branch, I use the advertisement of the data so as to improve the sensor battery life instead of issuing a BLE connection to the sensor.

It is detected automatically and auto discovered into Home Assistant. You can find it directly into the device list.

4 Likes

I am trying to integrate Inkbird IBT-4XS in HA via an ESP32 module. I have had a look at the instructions but having a bit of difficulty working out what files I need to download.
I assume OpenMQTTGateway_sources.zip but not sure at all on which libraries to select. What adjustments to config.h file do I also need to complete. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

If you are using Arduino IDE, this is described below:
https://docs.openmqttgateway.com/upload/arduino-ide.html
If you are using platformio it is this one:
https://docs.openmqttgateway.com/upload/pio.html

Instead of downloading a code from the release pages take it from the development version of OMG here.

The libraries here

The gateway you need to uncomment if you are using Arduino IDE is ZgatewayBT, you need also to uncomment ZmqttDiscovery for HASS auto-discovery.

Hope it helps

Sorry to come back to you, but I am having an issue with compiling the ESP32 via Arduino with the following error occuring:

In file included from C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_80038\ZgatewayBT.ino:47:
c:\users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2020r3\lib\gcc\xtensa-esp32-elf\8.4.0\include\stdatomic.h:40:9: error: ‘_Atomic’ does not name a type

• typedef _Atomic _Bool atomic_bool;*
  •     ^~~~~~~*

c:\users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2020r3\lib\gcc\xtensa-esp32-elf\8.4.0\include\stdatomic.h:41:9: error: ‘_Atomic’ does not name a type

• typedef _Atomic char atomic_char;*
  •     ^~~~~~~*

c:\users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2020r3\lib\gcc\xtensa-esp32-elf\8.4.0\include\stdatomic.h:42:9: error: ‘_Atomic’ does not name a type

• typedef _Atomic signed char atomic_schar;*
  •     ^~~~~~~*

c:\users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2020r3\lib\gcc\xtensa-esp32-elf\8.4.0\include\stdatomic.h:43:9: error: ‘_Atomic’ does not name a type

• typedef _Atomic unsigned char atomic_uchar;*

I was able to successfully upload the sketch to an ESP8266 which was recognised in Home Assistant but this is not much good to me as I require a bluetooth device.
Assistance would be appreciated.

I will give you a binary. Which type of esp32 board do you have ?

ESP32-WRoom-32 Dev board. Appreciate your help.

This looks really cool. Could you install OMG on a RPi0W, for example, to listen for the BLE advertisements feom the inkbird, and send them to an MQTT broker via WiFi? Or install it on an ESP32 module? Sorry, i don’t know anything about OMG.

You can install it on any esp32.

1 Like

Very cool—thanks! I have a new project.

Thanks for the offer of the binary file 1technophile. A brief note on how to load the binary file would be appreciated as well. Thank you.
email address is [email protected]

@Nathan_Byrer Thank you for posting this information. I was able to use your YAML as a basis to get my iBBQ 4BW operational within Home Assistant with alerts to my phone. The numbers input portion was the hurdle for me to overcome and once I was able to understand it, everything works like a charm and I can now setup alerts from within Home Assistant and not use the Inkbird app at all.

I am using local-tuya to manage and control the iBBQ 4BW without any issues.

Thank you!

I’m thinking of getting the Inkbird IBT-2X.

I’m running HASSIO. I wonder if this will work?

If it doesn’t work with Openmqttgateway on an esp32, I can help integrating it quite fast, I would just need some raw data published by the sensor.

1 Like

If I may ask, did anybody try to implement this with ESPHome on the ESP32? :slight_smile:

I would like to use ESPHome as I have a lot of other devices running with it, and if not necessary I’d like to avoid another thing to maintain. :wink:

Thx

Awesome. I’m glad the writeup helped someone.

My implementation is running on HASSIO.

Cool. I’ve just purchased the Inkbird IBT-4XS (having a smart home is getting more and more expensive :joy::joy::joy:).

I’ve read some of the comments and docs now.
Which ESP32 to get that is the easiest solution to connect a Inkbird IBT-4XS?
I haven’t played around with ESP32 yet so this is a good start.

This is sooo exciting to get this integrated into Home Assistant :clap::clap::clap: