Monitoring a Gas Stove?

Does anyone know of a way to monitor a gas stove? Would like to alert if it’s been on for more than an hour. I’ve seen some other posts on monitor electric stoves, but, obviously, those wouldn’t apply in this situation.

Thanks

I know theres an expansive zwave gas valve that turns it on and off. Not sure if it monitors gas flow.

Other solution could be a heat sensor, but then it only works if you have the fire turned on. What if it’s leaking? A gas sensor that detects that?

Is there a on/off light on the stove? If so, you could set it to trigger on that light.

Or use a door/window lock sensor when a knob is turned, that it knows it’s “on”.

Ow and just searched google. Check this out xD

Thermal switch and connect its output to the device of your choice (Sonoff, ESPHome, etc.). Place thermal switch in common location which warms up when the stove is in use. Or use several of them in series.

Are you sure that shouldn’t be parallel?

I like to use NC switches because it makes it easier to find faults.

Does anyone know if there’s something like this for gas instead of water?

I know this thread is old but figured I’d share if anyone else is trying to do the same:

While my approach won’t work for every one but I solved this on my gas range just by monitoring electricity usage. I measured the electricity usage on my GE cafe double oven gas range and found that it uses about 5 watts to power the clock/computer when at idle, It goes up +75 watts when the stove light is on (crazy, right?), and +365 watts when the oven igniter element is on to heat the oven. This igniter stays on until the oven reaches temperature and then turns on and off (presumably alongside a gas valve) as the oven maintains its set temperature. The on-off cycle isnt consistent but on the lowest “warm” setting of the oven it cycled at about 7 minutes and on a high setting more frequently.

I created a boolean input called “oven-is-on” and then used an automation to set that to true when I see the circuit breaker for the oven pull over 10w and another to set it to false when I see the breaker go below 10w for over 10m. I get my breaker wattage from my Emporia Vue integration but I imagine you could also pretty easily use any plug which returns energy usage. You could then have an automation that says if oven-is-on is true for over 2 hours send a push notification or something like that. I’m sure there is a more glamorous way to do this with a value template but so far this is working for me and was simple to setup.

I did note that only the ignitor for the oven produces an electric signature I could use for this notification, the stove top burners use a quick ignition when lighting but then use only gas, so you’d need to be able to measure gas usage (or maybe an air quality sensor) in order to detect if one of the top burners was left on.

1 Like