Monitoring Mosquitto server statistics with Home Assistant

My google skills seem to be failing me(*). Has anyone set up Home Assistant sensors to monitor the mosquitto server statistics in $SYS/broker?

It seems to me it would be handy to set up some monitoring of these things before problems/questions arise:

• Messages received/sent in the last minute $SYS/broker/load/messages/received
  • Clients $SYS/broker/clients/total
  • Subscription count $SYS/broker/subscriptions/count
  • Retained message count $SYS/broker/retained messages/count

I don’t have much operational experience with the Mosquitto server yet, but figured someone might have already played with this and might have something worth sharing.

(*) Everything I try turns up tons of pages with various MQTT sensors, I haven’t figured out how to get results relevant to monitoring the mosquitto sensor itself.

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "$SYS/broker/load/messages/received"

Thanks, but I didn’t ask how to set up an MQTT sensor.

I was looking to tap other people’s experience as to what’s worth monitoring.

I have never monitored anything. Mosquito is one of the most reliable pieces of software I have ever used. It just plugs away doing its thing.

Given that, monitor what concerns you.

2 Likes

I am looking forward to some of the diagnostics tools coming in upcoming HA releases. I things being able to see how many states changes, events, rates and other things and sizes of things that are traveling around the HA backbone will be useful. It is very easy to add sensors and stuff and then forget about them or not realize their performance impact.

I monitor recorder writes per minute as a metric of operation and operations deltas in my system currently.

As an example of unintended consequences, I have a group of 8 bluetooth low energy sensors that changed their reporting rate by factor of 50 due to a changing location of the hub that collects their readings. Not better data, the sensors in the devices were still sampling at the same rate, the BLE device was just sending the same value 50 extra times… and since the time stamp or some other less useful data was changing, HA was recording all the data.

2 Likes

@dproffer - thank you that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I wasn’t aware recorder metrics are available. In the past I’ve had a problem because of high HA write rates causing excessive disk latency. Granted it was an RPI 3 SD card install but I was at a loss to explain what parts of my config were generating those writes.

Can you share how you are monitoring recorder? Thanks

I have my recorder external with Postgresql running in a Docker container in parallel with my HA in another Docker container. So I just monitor the HA databases with standard SQL. You could so something like that with AppDaemon running in another Docker container and use AppDaemon time functions to create regular reports and push them back into HA as a sensor ( :-; ) or HTML table report or… on a simpler route, as it sounds like you may be using SQLite native Recorder, HA has a SQL sensor. Good hunting.

Just as a simple example, writes to states table per hour:

SELECT
    date_trunc(:zinterval, last_updated) AS updated,
    count(1)
FROM
    states
WHERE (last_updated > date_trunc(:zinterval, now()) - interval :zperiod)
    AND last_updated < date_trunc(:zinterval, now())
GROUP BY
ORDER BY
    updated DESC;

To grab data from log files I use the telegraf agent and the tail plugin as part of my ‘TIG’ stack (Telegram,Influxdb&Grafana). This puts the metrics into influxdb which can be disaplyed in Home Assistant using the influxdb component

Ive never been able to monitor $SYS to have it as a sensor
i have many other mqtt sensors but when i create one for $SYS anything… i get nada.
Dont suppose anyone knows why ?

Show us your config and some logs.

- name: "MQTT_Stats"
     state_topic: "$SYS/broker/load/messages/received"

- name: "MQTT_Stats2"
     state_topic: "$SYS/broker"
     value_template: "{{ value_json['uptime'] }}"
     unit_of_measurement: "seconds"
     json_attributes_topic: "$SYS/broker/load/messages"

no mention of either in logs

i can listen to a $SYS topic in devices with no problem

so i fixed the first MQTT_stats with puitting a # at the end

- name: "MQTT_Stats"
     state_topic: "$SYS/broker/load/messages/received/#"

but not the other. Im pretty sure its json and i “was” sure my yaml was correct but i guess not

$SYS/broker/load/messages/received/1min
$SYS/broker/load/messages/received/5min
$SYS/broker/load/messages/received/15min

Are the topics you seek.

1 Like

haha i know the topics, i thought i could put them into 1 entity as json values into attributes.
i didnt want an entity for each.
i expected # to return a json set

Don’t know where this expectation came from. It is nonsense afaik.

haha ‘nonsense’ sure, i dont think its nonsense to think that the format of data is resolved to a common data format.

We work this way in nodered and mqttx.

Ill just refactor this into nodered to make it neater.