Monoprice Whole Home Audio controller 10761 success

DO you mean the YAML used to specify type, zones, inputs?
I use includes so in my configuration.yaml I have:

media_player: !include media_player.yaml

And in the same directory I have media_player.yaml which includes this:

- platform: xantech
  type: dax88
  port: /dev/ttyUSB0
  zones:
    11:
      name: "Kitchen"
    12:
      name: "Living Room"
    13:
      name: "Deck"
    14:
      name: "Hot Tub"
    15:
      name: "Patio"
    16:
      name: "Foyer"
    17:
      name: "Master"
    18:
      name: "Unused"
  sources:
    1:
      name: "Alexa"
    2:
      name: "MintyFresh"
    3:
      name: "Volumio"
    4:
      name: "PatioVizio"
    5:
      name: "Input 5"
    6:
      name: "Input 6"
    7:
      name: "Input 7"
    8:
      name: "WiFi"

Now, I have no idea what you have i terms of the type, connection, zone names, input names, etc. So you would need to change those to match what you have. I have a Dayton Audio DAX88 and hence in is a “xantech”, type “dax88” that is connected via USB to Serial cable.

Did you ever upload your setup to github?

Setup? It is lots of code (especially since I wrote the bass/treble/balance code) … as well as sensors and many other things. I would suggest you ask “how can I?” and I would be happy to help.

Hey @jhenkens , I know this thread is pretty old!

When you were discussing/building this solution for the monoprice I honestly didn’t know anything about esphome and have since started looking into it haha! The reason I have started looking into it is with the year of voice from home assistant I am looking to try and use my whole home audio as the “speakers” or media player aspect for the voice assist from within Home Assistant. Then from there I could have mics around the house and when using the wake word have the replies etc come out of the whole home audio monoprice amp (that is my theory anyway). I believe the way to do that would be to ultimately do exactly what you did using esphome to then make the device available as a media player.

Have you tried this by any chance or are you able to create the monoprice as a media player using your esphome solution?

Did you ever figure this out? I am currently dealing with this as I just got my system setup.

It’s been awhile so I can’t be positive. But I believe it was user error, in that I was stupid and didn’t change the source for the zone. Like I had it on Echo, when it should have been on Chromecast

Hey @Zinic ,

I have your integration for the WS66i installed on my HA setup and it is almost working perfectly. I am able to turn on/off a zone, set the sources, and change the volume. The issue I am having is that most of the time after I turn on a zone, the UI will update after ~15 seconds saying that the zone is now off. The zone isn’t actually being turned off, it just seems to think it is. In the logbook it will just say zone turned off with no mention of what turned it off. Any idea?

Thanks!

Hi @TacoMeta ,
That seems very strange. I can’t explain why the UI will update that the zone is off when you turn it on. The long delay though is intentional. When you make changes from the keypad, it may take a while to reflect on the HA UI because the polling timer is set to a big value.

It has been a while since I’ve looked at the code. What is the exact log statement? I’ll see if I notice the same thing with my WS66i.

-Zinic

Hello, are you able to help me understand how i can use the soundavo ws66i with home assistant and how to get connectivity via ethernet or is rs232 required?

@TacoMeta I wasn’t able to reproduce your issue. Are you still having problems with it?
@ali.s Hi. Connect the ethernet cable from the back of the machine to your router. In your router settings, find the ip address of WS66i. Then go into home assistant, add the WS66i integration and input the ip address when prompted.

1 Like

i am about to pull the trigger on an ws66i system (12 zones yay) thanks so much for your code. I plan on running chrome casts hdmi to rca out for each zone and setup similar to what @kbrown01 did with modes as well.

i really like the updated keypads on this one too

If you think that has enough power. I believe …

WS66i = 50WPC
DAX88 = 75WPC

Big difference between 50W and 75W

yeah i gotta sort out my speaker placement here’s what i am wanting:

• Zone 1: 8 In-Ceiling Speakers (Kitchen, Dining, Lounge Room)
  • Zone 2: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Master Bedroom)
  • Zone 3: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Kids Room 1)
  • Zone 4: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Kids Room 2)
  • Zone 5: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Kids Room 3)
  • Zone 6: 2 Wall Mounted Speakers (Backyard)
  • Zone 7: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Porch)
  • Zone 8: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Office)
  • Zone 9: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Mud Room)
  • Zone 10: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Bathroom on Level 1)
  • Zone 11: 2 In-Ceiling Speakers (Bathroom on Ground)
  • Zone 12: 2 Wall Mounted Speakers (Garage)

Zone 1 will be interesting. I may have to reduce it a lot.

I am getting the zone expander from soundavo so can run 12 zones max.

That is likely 50W RMS per Zone Stereo. The Dax is 75W RMS …

have not run price but Dax is about $300 cheaper but for 12 zones you would need two. You need the zone expander so the price could be about equivalent. NOt sure.

I just know that I can rock the top off the mountain with my Dax and speakers.
I have 27 with subwoofer on only the 8 zone as one pre-amp goes to another amp with many speakers to get to the 27.

If I have to expand to more zones, I’d get the M66-EXT as well. Just a heads up. I only had the 6 zones to test with, but it should theoretically work up to 18 zones total. Let me know how setup goes with 12 zones.

You can’t put 8 speakers in 1 zone without adding another amp of some sort to that zone. I don’t remember the details exactly but I’d do some research into that.

Yep thank you I managed to speak with them and they have a product as a preamp for the 8 speakers on that one zone and gave me a wiring diagram. I just found the wiim amp plus pro . Looks like exactly what I’m looking for but they are individual zones and $300 each

Do you use the in wall keypads with the dax 88 by chance? I can get them installed as my house is in frame right now. But I’m just not sure if it would actually get used to adjust the volume very much. Especially with home assistant running it

No. Al)though my house had simple resistor type volume from previouus owner, i removed them all. So as you said, home assistant for it all. I have sox wall mounted tablets for everything.

Hey @kbrown01 I are able to share how you are creating your zone groups for audio playback. In my past I have been a sonos user, but for my new place I have gone with the monoprice amp. I still have a sonos connect, WIIM pro and ATV, but it appears that If I want to group zone like what you can do with sonos I would need to manually do this as this system does not seem to support grouping zone.

Can the zone groups be done don the fly or do I have to already know what groups I want to create?

I have four different groups that are predefined as groups.
See this image, those four groups are predefined.

However, I can set any zone to any input. Not a biggie as I only have 7, so I can just select Kitchen, Living Room to play “X” and Deck, Hot Tub, Patio to play “Y”. This image shows the Deck and Hot Tub are playing the stream from SpotifyPlus and the Kitchen and Living Room are playing the stream from Alexa (Amazon Music).

I also have quick buttons to adjust volume for everything:

And in my custom integration for now, I can adjust bass/treble/balance per zone.

The buttons across the top above the album art let me chance things per input. They correspond to Wireless, Alexa, Volumio, NAS, and a TV solution for Sports that broadcasts from one TV the sound back.

The only other special thing is an integration of the top 5000 artists and most common music genres. I can use the “Alexa” input and pull down an artist or a genre and that sends the command to a little Alexa puck jacked to do something like “Play Elvis from Spotify on Stereo Alexa” …