More than one HASS instance for FLIC button coverage

My first integration with my PI3-AIO-HASS install is with Hue Lights and Flic buttons.

It’s working great! Much faster than Flic->Phone->Hue and works for everyone in the household without having to worry about having a connected phone near by.

One issue I have however is coverage. The PI3 bluetooth is pretty good. But I think I need at least 2 set up for upstairs and downstairs coverage.

I plan to make one of my setups the main HASS with zwave, MQTT to my Smart Things Hub etc and the other just acting as a flic hub.

Has anyone done anything like this? Should I do a full install of HASS just to act as a flic hub or is there a more light weight approach?

I have 4 total HA instances. 1 main and 3 sub. I use Restful API to accomplish the things I need done.

It is a bit of work to set up but it adds a lot of options. eg. set up automations on each pi or pc.

@ptp thanks! that’s interesting. I am curious why you have three instances. Was it something like bluetooth access?

Currently I have a Smart Things hub which uses zigbee and zwave which are mesh networks so no need for more than one hub. It’s really only bluetooth buttons that are making me consider more than one instance. I would like to learn about other advantages of having more.

I could probably drop it down to 2 but anyway…

HA is hobby for my brother in law and myself. The main instance is at his house. Our networks are connected through vpn. so I have to use all wifi devices.

So I have a zwave on one instance and random sensors on another. (These could be combined)

The third is in my garage setup as a garage door controller and a pi cam.

Really its just to do it and practice Restful API and JSON parsing.

I like the idea of garage door opener and pi cam. That’s a combination I already have with a dlink camera and a GD00Z-4 Garage Controller. I like being able to confirm the status with the camera.

Having these on two homes makes sense. I actually have a Home and Office SmartThings setup. I read that the mobile interface for HASS doesn’t support two HASS instances so that could be a reason to combine the Home and Office into one instance.

Which door controller do you have? I want to move mine over to HASS but want to make sure it works before I tear it down from my ST hub.

The pi is the controller. It uses a 5V relay, micro switch, input boolean, and automation to control and get the state of the door. The GD00Z-4 wont work yet with OZW so you would need a Vera or similar. My brother in law has that one.

Interesting, Do you know what the issue is with GD00Z-4 and OZW? I wrote the device code to make the GD00Z-4 work with my SmartThings hub so perhaps I can work on making it work with HASS. I am new to HASS so not sure how OZW plays in yet. That is just the open source zwave framework right? I would think the GD00Z is standard ZWAVE protocols so just a matter of implementing the correct messages. Unless there is something more low level causing issues.

UPDATE: No need to explain…found thread on the device

I just typed so I am posting :wink:

I believe it is a Security Class issue.

Yes it is the the open source zwave. I know it has been reported to the devs of ozw on github and has been a major topic on the forum. It actually looks like they are getting close to making it work…

1 Like