Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

I finally managed to bring my system back online.
Here are the steps:

1. remove mqtt: section under configuration.yaml (but leave your mqtt lights/switches/sensors untouched!)
  2. update to 0.81. My frontend wouldn’t start in the beginning because I had some old themes which weren’t compatible with 0.81. Just uncomment the frontend: part in configuration.yaml
  3. My mqtt username was “homeassistant”. This isn’t allowed anymore. You have to change all your tasmota etc. devices to a new username. Maybe you can use TasmoAdmin for that.
  4. Go to “Configuration” and then click on Integrations. Under “Set up a new integration” choose MQTT put your brokers ip adress in (which is the same as your hassio ip adress if you use the addon) put in your new user name and password.
  5. Restart Hassio
  6. All working again. That was a real pain in the ass to get that working again.

edit: set anonymous: true in the mqtt config (of course only if your mqtt port isn’t forwarded and only accessible from local network).

2 Likes

I’ve tried every single solution that seems to work for others, but somehow every option still fails for me…I’ve tried creating users in HASS, in the addon and in the configuration file. Tried almost every combination with old and newly created users, but…still no luck. So far I’ve spend 3 evenings/nights on this, but now I’m totally out of options…anyone else having the same issue as me?

I did pretty much the same as @chris1 has done and it worked for me. To get a working system initially, I flashed my Rpi SD card with a fresh HassOS hassio image and reverted to my last working snapshot. I left everything ticked when restoring the snapshot and chose wipe and restore.

I believe everything will need auto in the future.

Yes I ended up with random sensor names as the so off friendly name was not the detected name - my own fault I guess.

Restoring my old configuration is working every time, but as soon as I upgrade to V3 Mosquitto, it gets broken…no tasmota device can connect, even if I create new accounts etc. etc. For the very first time I have no clue what I should do to upgrade to the latest verions…

I followed the steps from people above, it works only for a while. I rebooted my pi and my devices started to connect. After a while I start getting the following warning:

WARNING (Thread-2) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Disconnected from MQTT (1). Trying to reconnect in 1 s

And all my sensors and switches are unavailable again. It never connects again. Help please

Got MQTT running again, but my Xiaomi window sensors connected via zigbee2mqtt get no state updates any more.
Seems, that other users have similar problems with binary sensors.
The state does not change within MQTT. Since there was no change to zigbee2mqtt I think this is a problem of Mosquitto.

How does someone just insert this ““feature”” down our throats… Like COME ON,

I am wasting my time away from work… with work… on something that was functional.

Nobody on a local network cares if they have SSL and SHA289182 encryption.

If such a BREAKING change is implemented, users shall be warned. Better yet: Enable new features or changes WITH A KEY FLAG, maintaining backwards compatibility. THANK YOU.

I am literally pissed right now.

3 Likes

Or at least keep it in Beta until it’s functionality is proven.

Try without username and without password in mosquitto configuration

same problem for me… what a mess!!!

Thanks mate. This worked for me:sweat_smile:. I had to stop, uninstall and then restore it from back up as you have shown above and restarted HA and RP Pi3+ also. Now my Sonoff Pows Basics, Sensor nodes (5 sensors in each), 10 Blue Iris based cameras and etc etc are all working

I am taking it slowly with other important things. I have stopped with 0.76.2 and have 3 test benches to check new versions but my main unit I am not updating just yet. WIth this bad experience I have DISABLED all AUTO UPDATES to ADD-ONs.

Home assistant in changing a lot but things are breaking and it is not fun when you cannot take a break and do something else without tinkering with this all the time. Home Assistant is becoming pain in the butt for a person to maintain and it is not fun when your wife and kids yelling at you.

There’s a surprise :smile:

The old version works fine with the latest version of HA so stop upgrading and everything will be fine, there’s no must haves in the update so just wait until everything settles down.

1 Like

I keep getting disconnect errors:

[INFO] found esp1mqtt on Home Assistant
1541682637: New client connected from 192.168.1.192 as ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 (c1, k15, u'esp1mqtt').
1541682787: Client ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 has exceeded timeout, disconnecting.
1541682787: Socket error on client ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114, disconnecting.
1541682803: New connection from 192.168.1.192 on port 1883.
1541682804: New client connected from 192.168.1.192 as ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 (c1, k15, u'esp1mqtt').
1541682943: New connection from 192.168.1.192 on port 1883.
1541682943: Client ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 already connected, closing old connection.
1541682943: Client ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 disconnected.
1541682943: New client connected from 192.168.1.192 as ledcontroller-68c63a9fb114 (c1, k15, u'esp1mqtt').

Hi Team,

I too seemed to have walked into problems with MQTT v3.
I run Sonoff Basic w/Tasmota and some ESP8266 (BRUH code) sensors which were hard-coded with username and password.

So I was stuck as the INO’s running on ESP8266 were hard-coded (please someone guide me on a better way).

I decided to:

1. Check Configuration for Auth and MQTT Settings
  2. NOT change any settings within Sonoff/Tasmota as they were working a day ago
  3. Modified the MQTT username in the Add-On config (which I think did the job).

Below are my settings for Configuration.yaml and also settings for MQTT Add-On.

################################################
# Configuration.yaml Snips 
homeassistant:
    <Cut for Brevity>
  auth_providers:
    - type: homeassistant
    - type: legacy_api_password

mqtt:
  broker: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  #Same as my pi

# Configuration from MQTT Embedded Broker
Note that the MQTTUser, and MQTTPWD are same userid/pwd that I use on the ESP8266/BRUH Sensors.  Also use same ID on Sonoff/Tasmota.

{
  "logins": [
    {
      "username": "<MQTTUser>",
      "password": "<MQTTPWD"
    }
  ],
  "anonymous": true,
  "customize": {
    "active": false,
    "folder": "mosquitto"
  },
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

I hope this helps,
~Bryan

Kit: Hassio 0.81.6, Resin OS 2.3.0+rev1, Supervisor: v139

MQTT Update V3 also broke my setup, could go back to V2 with a snapshot.
Not a pleasant experience. Could not figure out to run V3.
Maybe the makes can share more details what was changed.

Ditto. my entire house is down

V4 just popped up, everything has reconnected after the update. Just rebooted and all is ok.

1 Like

V4 certainly has a LOT less chatter in the logs. Everything seems OK so far.

1 Like

Has anyone upgraded from version 2 to 4? I was on 3 temporarily then downgraded due to all the probs. I’m not updating to 4 until I hear from someone who went from 2 to 4 successfully. :slight_smile: