Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

I just did the mosquito v3 add-on update on my rpi3 and in the add-on log there wee errors disconnecting all my clients saying they were unknown. Tasmota clients are reporting error 5. I tried a hassio reboot and don’t even have samba access now. I can still ping the hassio IP address. I was running 0.81.6

Do I need to do a snapshot restore and will it restore with version 2?

5 Likes

I have the same issue here! My smarthings and sonoff quit working after updating the mqtt to v3. I did revert back v2 using the snapshot I had. However, none helped! The log says Socket error on client <unknown disconnecting and [error] Auth error with DVES_USER.

1 Like

Did you load a fresh image to the card before the snapshot restore?

Yes, I did and I was able to downgrade to V2. But mqtt keeps failing and you can see the error above! Did it work for you after restore?

I have not tried yet, its 6am here so will try quickly when I get up if I have time. Did this stop your hassio from booting?

As you mentioned, samba doesn’t work now. But my hassio boots up smoothly!

Yes, managed to restore my last snapshot of 0.81.0. I left everything ticked and did a wipe and restore. I definitely need another system or SD card to test updates.

Strange… I updated MQTT and Samba add-ons today and both are working fine…

With Samba… a password is now required. I don’t remember if I changed anything in that addon. I would suggest copying the options to a text file and then resetting to default and then copying back matching entries…

1 Like

That might explain a lot. Been trying to help a friend out and we did a fresh install, added Samba, Mosquito and two others. Do a reboot and dead…

Samba won’t come up and the local.hassio doesn’t work. Router shows pi is on network however…

Were you running on 0.81.6 when you updated the add-ons? I was using a password for samba and it seemed to be configured after updating. Not sure if it worked before the reboot to solve the Mqtt issue?

Have you rebooted since from the hassio tab?

Check your MQTT config in the addon page. The update changes:

“anonymous”: true,

to

“anonymous”: false,

After changing the MQTT addon config and saving. Restart the addon. I also restarted HA. Not sure if that was necessary.

EDIT, or maybe not. My MQTT is still broken.

remove mqtt: from configuration.yaml and configure it from Integrations …

1 Like

Hi guys,

I had the same problem after the update to V3.

Solution for me was to comment out the username and password entry in configuration.yaml. This solved the error in the home assistant log of being unable to connect to the Mosquitto broker on the same device. I think it is now using the new login system as standard? A breaking change heads up on the update would have been nice…

I created a new user in the front-end (/settings/users) and used the new login settings for my one and only mqtt client, a different rpi controling my garage doors.

I left the config file of the Mosquitto broker in Home assistant unchanged in the end.

in my case both home assistant and clients (sonoff) can not connect to moquitto

My auto-discovered devices can connect to the broker but my manually configured devices can not.

This update nearly borked my install, I had to revert to a backup to get my docker container to even start.

Setting “anonymous”: true did nothing for me. Nor did using the previous version of the addon. Thankfully all my MQTT stuff is sonoff-tasmota so I just added the default “DVES_USER / DVES_PASS” to the config, and set my Home Assistant installation to use the same. I had to comment out the mqtt: section in configuration.yaml and use the integration.

Honestly this is getting kind of ridiculous - things keep breaking badly because of forced “secure” authentication when this stuff is meant to run on a local network.

10 Likes

integration page???
where is it, what is it?

I’m having issues too :confused:

Blockquote [WARN] Not found homeassistant on local database 1541422908: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting. [WARN] Not found homeassistant on local database 1541422908: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.

1 Like

I had disabled anonymous logins already on my install

From what i can see … the broker is ignoring the login in addon yaml… and the clients only can login if using the home assistant password that is bullshit…

2 Likes