Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

I’m not sure that’s true. I have some auto discovered ESP/DHT sensors that still work without log in credentials. It’s only my manually created sonoff switches that dont work.

are your clinets logged in?

I’m trying to figure it…

i have a tasmota device that is off.
Change the mqtt user and password for home assistant (normal user) -> it works
Change the mqtt user and password for mqtt addon yaml (like before) -> don’t work *
Change the mqtt user and password for mqtt addon yaml for a new user and new password -> it works

Ok the addon have issues if your mqtt user is homeassistant

configuration > integrations in the ui

Mosquitto V3 is using the new authentication method Home Assistant is moving towards.

Try the following:

• Eddit your configuration.yaml. It should only contain “mqtt:”. Username and password in the configuration.yaml file appear to be no longer needed.

• Restart home assistant.

• Home assistant should now be able to connect to the mosquitto broker again, check the log.

• The devices in your home network are trying to log into the mosquitto broker using the wrong username and password. Either no login credentials are needed if i’m correct, or you can create a new login username and password like i did.

• On the front-end got to /Settings/Users and press the “+” icon on the bottom right side, create a new user by giving a name, username and password and press “create”.

• Use the username and password you just created for all the clients on the network that are trying to connect to the mosquitto broker on your home assistant device.

Now here is just an idea: For adding a user to the home assistant users group, make the username and password the same as your mqtt setting from before (homeassistant and password). Maybe then you won’t have to redo all the clients on the network one by one.

EDIT:

After some testing with MQTTLens in Chrome i think the only fault is using the name “homeassistant” in the config box of the mosquitto add on. Changed that to something else and did the same on my client, working like it should again.

1 Like

I try that… only don’t reboot HA, but create user, restart broker without success

Even after reboot that don’t work… maybe the homeassistant user already exist? Maybe autogenerated?

Did someone say that a Mqtt username of ‘homeassistant’ does not work?

I can confirm I was using this.

I say that

I experienced the same problem after upgrading to v3. As a workaround , switched to MQTT Server & Web client 0.1.1.

Yes you did, so if I change my Mqtt user to something else it will work?

Where do you change this, the add-on configuration or a front-end user?

@Crhass i change in the addon config.

My front-end did not start after v3, with version 0.80.6

Ok, I will try later, I guess homeassistant is now an invalid user name. Not allowed or clashing with something.

I have now 0.81.6, mosquito v3 started, but did not work (apparently as all) disconnected clients.

Did some testing and you’re right. Just don’t use “homeassistant” as the username in the config box of mosquitto add on.

for now i have this error. what a day. what a lovely day…

1 Like

MQTT v3, it’s working now for me. After the fiasco of Samba upgrade yesterday, here’s how it is working now. hass.io v1.12, supervisor v138, HA v0.81.6:

I have set up a “homeassistant” user account.

Configuaration.yaml

mqtt:
  broker: pi3
  password: !secret mqtt_password
  discovery: true
  discovery_prefix: homeassistant

MQTT configuration:

{
  "logins": [
    {
      "username": "homeassistant",
      "password": "my-mqtt-password-again"
    }
  ],
  "anonymous": true,
  "customize": {
    "active": false,
    "folder": "mosquitto"
  },
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

Everything seems to be testing out okay.

3 Likes

I have the same error

did you configure all your clients too? can we still use blank password on the clients?

My clients (ontracks) use the homeassistant login/password, my clients(battery level sensors) use the homeassistant login without a password.