Mosquitto. Do I install on the Hass.io raspberry or the Garage door?

Probably a noob question,
Do I install the Mosquitto on the Hass.io server or on the client or both?
I am doing the GarageQTPi from https://github.com/Jerrkawz/GarageQTPi

I am confused as the broker should be on the Hass.io Pi but should all the rest be run on the client?

Mosquitto is the broker. The garage would be a subscriber.

Install it on your hass system.

Ok… I have set up the server side and the client side but they aren’t communicating. Any suggestions?

they have to be on the same lan (or server if WAN) with proper credentials. (user/Pass) then it’s a matter of subscribing to the topic that will handle your garage door. Then when other devices subscribe to it they can pub messages for the subs to react to.

everything is local lan right now.
I don’t have any passwords set.

here is the yaml
mqtt:
discovery: true
discovery_prefix: homeassistant

cover:

• platform: mqtt
    name: “MQTT Cover”
    relay: 23
    state: 17
    state_topic: “home-assistant/cover”
    command_topic: “home-assistant/cover/set”

you should have some user/pass set. I’m not sure what the defaults are for hass.io

when you set up your devices you’re telling them how and what to subscribe to

where do I set the password on the client (Pi zero)

I followed the instructions from here

git clone https://github.com/Jerrkawz/GarageQTPi.git

Im assuming you pull the git, edit the files as needed (config.yaml) , set topics and boot up.

I’m not using those components so it’s hard for me to say. I built my own out of an ESP8266 and a relay… so I’ve reached my limit to be able to help anymore… Sorry.

ok thanks…

maybe someone can tell me what I did that are preventing the two pi’s from talking?
Ok I have a Pi zero running GarageQTPi and main.py with the config.yaml and I have a Pi3 running my homeassistant. I can SSH into both wirelessly.

If I jumper gnd to GPIO pin 17 my zero will say “State change triggered: home-assistant/cover/hodor -> closed” and if I remove it it will say “State change triggered: home-assistant/cover/hodor -> open”

But I can’t seem to get the two to talk to each other…

The HomeAssistant pi3 has an ip of 10.0.0.10 and the Pi zero GarageQTPi has an ip of 10.0.0.20
The Homeassistant indicates Status Unkown.
When I try doing some of the commands to send a mqtt message on the HomeAssistant it says Error Connection refused. Even with -u :pi -P :xxxxxxx

config.yaml on my raspbery pi zero named garage
“”
mqtt:
host: 10.0.0.10
port: 1883
user: root
password: XXXXXXXX
doors:
-
id: ‘hodor’
relay: 23
state: 17
state_topic: “home-assistant/cover/hodor”
command_topic: “home-assistant/cover/hodor/set”
“”

clip of configuration.yaml on my Raspberry pi 3 running home assistant. Note it shows the cover and when I click the open or close a message appears in the lower left corner indicating open or close
“”
mqtt:
discovery: true

cover:

• platform: mqtt
    state_topic: “home-assistant/cover/hodor”
    command_topic: “home-assistant/cover/hodor/set”
    name: “MQTT Cover”
    qos: 0
    retain: true
    payload_open: “OPEN”
    payload_close: “CLOSE”
    payload_stop: “STOP”
    state_open: “OPEN”
    state_closed: “STATE”
    optimistic: false
    “”

Problem resolved!
Username is not ROOT even though that is what you log into the Homeassistant with.
The username is homeassistant…
All this trouble sigh…

:slight_smile: Thanks

Has anyone had any luck with garage door wall panels that do not just require breaking or completing a circuit? I have a Genie 2028 and the wall panel has a PCB in it.

I wired GarageQtPi in and was able to successfully turn the light on the wall panel on and off but not activate the garage door.

It seems that the garage door is expecting some sort of signal from the wall panel since it has a light activate button, vacation mode, and door open/close using only 2 wires.

Anyone have any ideas where to look to see if this is possible with my or similar models?

My garage door works with a panel or a doorbell. Each of the different functions have a capacitor or something on it.
The opener puts out a signal at 40hz I thought and when the correct button is pushed the capacitor/coil circuit changes the signal.

So I purchase a wall mount controller (15 $) and then soldered the relay wires to the board where the buttons attached.

Yours may be different.