Mosquitto no longer accepts connection from Hass or AppDaemon

I just updated my docker containers, and lost access to Mosquitto (this docker image). docker logs mqtt shows:

1632750809: mosquitto version 2.0.11 starting
1632750809: Using default config.
1632750809: Starting in local only mode. Connections will only be possible from clients running on this machine.
1632750809: Create a configuration file which defines a listener to allow remote access.
1632750809: For more details see https://mosquitto.org/documentation/authentication-methods/
1632750809: Opening ipv4 listen socket on port 1883.
1632750809: Opening ipv6 listen socket on port 1883.
1632750809: Error: Address not available
1632750809: mosquitto version 2.0.11 running

I did note the change after v2.0. There was something about specifying socket domain as ipv4 and something about either listener or bind_address, but I haven’t been able to figure out what to put in the mosquitto.conf to make it accept connections from non-loopback again.

Has anyone else been through this, that could perhaps share a mosquitto.conf?

Just in case, here’s my last working mosquito.conf (yes, I know it’s a mess, don’t worry about non-related messiness please :slight_smile: )

pid_file /var/run/mosquitto.pid

password_file /mosquitto/config/passwordfile

persistence true
persistence_location /mosquitto/data/

user mosquitto

port 1883

listener 1884
protocol websockets

allow_anonymous false

log_dest file /mosquitto/log/mosquitto.log
log_dest stdout

Mine:

# Place your local configuration in /etc/mosquitto/conf.d/
#
# A full description of the configuration file is at
# /usr/share/doc/mosquitto/examples/mosquitto.conf.example

persistence true
persistence_location /var/lib/mosquitto/

include_dir /etc/mosquitto/conf.d
password_file /etc/mosquitto/passwd
listener 1883

Thanks, but no luck.

How are you running mosquitto and things that need to connect? Also docker? Or on the same machine just installed “normally”?

I still get the Starting in local only mode. Connections will only be possible from clients running on this machine line in the logs, I think that’s the issue, since it’s (as far as I could gather), only listening on the loopback. And (again, if I understood this) that would be inside the docker container, where there is nothing else.

My mosquitto runs on a different machine from my HA instances, a native debian install (no docker or add-on)

Oops, scratch that! It says the same in the logs, but I see that AppDaemon automations work again. Even though he AppDameonn logs complain about not connecting.

Well, the main thing was this part. If I get some more time, I’ll look into why. But for now, I’ll happily sit down for dinner with the lights working :slight_smile: Thanks!