Mosquitto not installed by MQTT - raspbian stretch

Hi all, first post, be gentle :slight_smile: . I’ve even searched to see if this is a common problem, but I’ve not found a resolution.
I’m installing home-assistant using the AIO on a Pi3 running the latest NOOBS, which is based on Debian Stretch.
Mosquitto fails to install, as the dependencies libssl1.0.0 and libwebsockets3 are not installable.

I’ve tried to use the -switch rather than -jessie repo, but no joy there either.

I must admit I’m hugely impressed with home assistant - being able to control it so simply from my phone is incredible.

The reason I’m wanting to get mosquitto working is to have multiple Raspberry Pis in my network, and want to use Pi Zeros to put various switches and sensors into the mix.

Any clues on how to get around these dependencies?

1 Like

Not sure, but i think there are issues with stretch.

I tried stretch and had issues as well, No problems using jessie lite

I get my mosquitto package from the mosquitto.org archive rather than the raspbian archive. It has a stretch version (the latest mosquitto released) which works well.

Instructions are here. Just replace jessie with stretch.

1 Like

Try install mosquito using docker

use $ sudo aptitude install mosquitto and you can override the dependencies issues and it seems to work.

2 Likes

Thanks - aptitude worked

1 Like

Great, it works for me now.
But first, you have to say No for the first solution that is provided and write yes to the next one when you be asked to download three packages (and one of them is mosquito)

1 Like

sudo aptitude install mosquitto-clients
n
n
y

2 Likes

just follow the steps

1 Like