Motion sensor recommendation

Did someone else notice that Shelly will release the “Shelly motion” soon? A wifi PIR with MQTT built in. Seems the sensitivity is configurable too. So far I’m using the Sonoff PIR most of the time, but I’m not happy with the response time. Hue PIR is quite expensive, so I’m really curious to this new Shelly product. Not sure when “coming soon” is.

says November. Kind of interested in that as well.

Have you tried cleaning them? Not sure if you can get inside but a lot of time dust or spiders screw with motion sensors. A good can of air in the inside can solve a lot of issues…

I just saw Shelly’s website about it today.

Seems nice, but they say they are using a Arm Cortex-M3 processor for it, so there’s no hope for simple custom firmware like if it were running an ESP chip sadly.

Let’s hope the standard firmware is good then. I’m very happy with the MQTT support. It should integrate very easily without the need of using cloud services.

Anyone else got a Konke zigbee motion sensor? I really like how small it is and works pretty fast. However I notice it sends a false trigger once every day (around the same time). I tried with deCONZ and zigbee2mqtt, same behaviour. I have a second motion sensor in that room (aqara) wich does not report motion. Also, when I removed and paired the Konke sensor, the false trigger also occureded at a different time than before. So looks like something is wrong with it.

I don’t know if it’s defective or that the Konke sensor is like this (all of them).

Also, anyone else have the Sonoff zigbee sensor? I have two of them, both horrible detection. Lot of missed triggers or simply not working for minutes on end, before detecting. Do I just have bad luck, or are they really that bad? Also tested with deCONZ and zigbee2mqtt. A shame, because they’re small and cheap.

Sometimes I just think about getting a Hue sensor and be done with it. They’re expensive, but from what I hear they work very reliable and fast. At a certain point, I’d rather pay $20 more and have a better experience without worrying.

Update 5 november 2020: I have no idea how and why, but the Sonoff sensors suddenly work extremely accurate sinds 2 days ago. I put them in a drawer after last time because they were crap. Decided to test them again (were still paired) and they suddenly work extremely accurate. Even faster than the Aqara’s…

Gonna test it more and ordere a couple extra if they remain this good.

Update 11 feb 2021: read this > Issues with Sonoff SNZB-03 motion sensor

1 Like

I know I’m late to the party on this topic, but I’m just starting out with HA. How did these work for you…:+1: or :-1:? Thanks!

They’re quite good. Better than I expected, honestly. They last quite some time on a single battery, but it’s not a 2032 (like on PC motherboards) it’s a somewhat beefier CR2450 coin cell. Typically, battery lifetime is about 9 months to a year. I can only presume they sleep until woken by movement.

Nice! Thanks for letting me know :+1:

Does anybody can recommend an outdoor motion sensor?
I have conbee Stick an my hassio and hue bridge here.

Thanks

The best zigbee outdoor motion sensor for me is the Philips Hue PIR Outdoor.
Note the cheapest but well built, gives occupancy, temperature and illuminance, 3 levels of motion sensitivty and batteries last forever…

Thanks, bought 2 of them, worked great!

Hi There… re your recommendation of the Philips Hue PIR Outdoor sensor. Do they require a Philips Hue hub? And if not, what zigbee hub do you recommend? I really dont want to buy a hue hub :slight_smile:

Any stick supported by Zigbee2mqtt or ZHA will do. You don’t need/want a hue hub.

My Hue motion sensors work way better since they aren’t connected anymore to the Hue hub but to a Conbee 2 stick.

Hey, I can offer my experience on Wyze motion sensors.

The first generation of what Wyze calls “WyzeSense” is no longer available but on ebay they are easily found for ~$20us each. Please note you WILL NEED A NEW BATTERY. These are old enough that the battery they shipped with is almost dead and will die within minutes the first time you use it.

Representative Ebay Link

These originally had a small RF bridge plugged in to the back of the Wyze camera (which also works in HA) which listens for the sensors. So you have a dongle in the back of your PI and you put the tiny sensor anywhere you want. In my single story 2000sqft home, there are no dead spots for this 400mhz service.

To integrate, you’ll need the Wyze Sense Component from HACS, then edit configuration.yaml and add:

sonoff:
  username: [email protected]
  password: yourpassword

And you’ll have a new wyze service you can call to register new sensors and read motion, etc.

The specific sensors are very small, I’d say roughly the size of a large cherry tomato or kumquat. Uses one 3v battery, has a motion blinking ‘pinhead’ LED that is not very noticeable.

I don’t have a way to measure exactly how much latency there is, but I can tell you the motion is detected basically immediately. There is never enough time to wonder if the lights will come on before they actually DO come on. Less than a second, I’m sure.

I don’t know how quickly these clear motion, because i don’t use that feature. My preference is to turn the lights out in my rooms 120 seconds after last motion is detected.

Anyway, in closing, I can recommend these as a super low cost way to add motion to your home. I don’t know if the Gen 2 devices will work, as Wyze has moved to a separate RF bridge that is a Wifi device now.

The usb bridge will poke right into your PI and it will just work.

And isn’t that nice?

:slight_smile:

Hope this helps someone…
Jim

Hi,

I’ve read through all of this thread and I’m a bit overwhelmed by choice.

Is there a standard “go to” motion sensor that people recommend? I’m looking for low latency on detection, about 6m of detection and either USB power or extremely long (12mths+) battery life.

The blind time is less of an issue for this use case as it’ll be used for “human detected, turn on lights for 10mins” type automation.

Any help appreciated!

ZWave sensor. Aeotec are great. I run a few different models but all of them allow either battery or USB power. I have them all connected via USB so that they act as network repeaters and make the network faster and stronger

I had the same use-case. Ended up getting DIGOO DG HOSA HOSA Wireless Infrared PIR Detector Sensor Motion Detection For 433MHz Home Security Alarm System Kits|sensor sensor|sensor for alarmsensor infrared - AliExpress

You will need 433mhz hub. I made one using rpi3 with 433mhz receiver and python script that interprets received signal and sends MQTT to HA. If you are not into diy, you can get sonoff 433 receiver and flash it with tasmota i think.

Pros are they are cheap and extremely fast (probably less than a second to detect) and have cooldown period of maybe 3 seconds. I don’t know about battery, I have them for about 6 months and are working.

It is perfect for halls and places where people generally always move. To make the light turn on instantly, I installed door sensors from the same company. To have multiple sensors in one room, you will need Entity Controller addon for home assistant. It maintains a state of group of sensors which is necessary to have more than one sensor in one room (no matter which sensor detects you, the timer for turning off the light should be re-set).

I know the struggle with getting the right hardware, I am glad to help.

Could you please describe “better” ? I am also planing to buy a conbee 2.