Motion sensor recommendation

It depends on what controller you are using, but you need to change the Parameters 1 and 3. This is an action done on the controller itself so I can’t tell you exactly how to do it.

The manual of the Fibaro Motion sensor will tell you some more information on the available settings, and the manual of the controller itself should explain how to set parameters. Just remember to wake the motion sensor to apply them (or you’ll have to wait up to 5 hours for the device to wake periodically)

@Danny: Many thanks for your excellent Entity Controller project and the helpful posts on your site. I am excited about the prospect of setting up intelligent lighting in my home and look forward to utilizing the resources you have so thoughtfully shared with the community. :grin:

Quick question… Have you (or anyone else here) tried the “Mini” version of the Kerui motion sensor? I’m curious whether it works as well as the model you recommended here previously.

Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot to see everyone benefit from my component!
Ihave not tried that mini version. If its the same brand its probably using the same parts. Only the battery life may not be as good if its using a different battery. It may also be missing the micro-USB port, which is nice.
Two of my sensors are always plugged in. one into the TV, the other into the modem. It is very good to have that option.

Good point – I hadn’t thought about that. Looking at this photo, it seems a similar DC5V USB port is present on the Mini version as well. I assume that is just for power, but you mentioned plugging the sensors into your TV and modem. Would you be so kind as to elaborate as to how and why you have your sensors connected via USB to your TV and modem?

Probably it has a USB port that is not used. So you can use it to power any usb device. I have a CC2531 plugged in my modem.

I’ve searched the thread but can’t find any mention of them. But what about Ikea Tradfri motion sensors?

They’re super cheap (less than €10), run on CR2032 batteries (that last a very long time), the new version is IP44 rated and they’re super reliable.

I have 6 of them (new version) and they perform very well with zigbee2mqtt.

@Danny: I want to create a motion-based lighting system in my home with Home Assistant + Entity Controller, along the lines of the system that you have outlined and presumably use in your home. I’m still a bit unclear, however, what I need to do to get started. Specifically, at the moment, I am trying to understand which hardware I need to procure in addition to motion sensors, smart bulbs, and smart power switches (for lamps).

I assume the Kerui motion sensors you recommended do not connect directly via WiFi and thus require some kind of intermediary device in order to be used with Home Assistant + Entity Controller. Is that right? If that is indeed the case, what device(s) do you recommend? Is there any other additional hardware that I need to procure?

It all depends on your lighting in your house.

I have automated the lighting in the hallways by swapping out the bulbs with smart bulbs. I have a ceiling light and wall light on the stairs on each floor. So it was pretty easy. Then disabled the light switches to prevent accidentally turning power off to the lights.

But then in the entrance hallway I have a table lamp with smart bulb. And in the kitchen I have a mix of a table lamp in the table, 2 wifi led strip lights and an IKEA GU10 mounted under a cupboard.

Hi Justin,
Check this post on my blog: Dockerising the RF to MQTT gateway
That is the receiver to convert radio signals emitted by motion sensor into MQTT messages.
Read this just for some background info

Once the radio signal is converted to MQTT message, home assistant will be able to process it. I wrote another custom component called mqtt_payload_processor. It will read the MQTT messages and convert them to Home Assistant events. You can also put basic automations right in the components config, rather than creating an automation elsewhere. (check out the repository for plenty of examples).

For use wth EC, you can set up binary sensors like the ones I copy/pasted below:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "shed_door"
  device_class: 'door'
  state_topic: "/rf/all"
  payload_on: '13477130'
  payload_off: '13477134'

# Motion sensors
- platform: mqtt
  name: "living_room_motion"
  device_class: 'motion'
  state_topic: "/rf/2678906"
  off_delay: 2

You can read the complete guide on my blog

do you need a hub for Ikea Tradfri motion sensors?

I use zigbee2mqtt, not the IKEA hub

1 Like

Thank you!

I recently purchased a few of the Xiaomi Mijia Smart Human Body sensor and they are extremely small and unobtrusive.

@patrick_jane THANK YOU for the good comparison and overview what needs to be considered.
Would be great to have this in a comparison matrix for all sensors ;-).

@all
I’m looking for a multi sensor (movement, light, temp, humidity) that ensures the light while walking through the rooms ans stairs.
Is there now a “acutal champion” (or some) ?

Thank you in advance
PS: I would rate reliability more important than the price.

Im using now 8 Neo Coolcam PIR motion sensors and im very happy (Z-Wave)
Have movement, light, temp

What about the Aeotec Multisensor? I use them myself for motion, temp and humidity. I’m not using the light sensor but it has one.

I moved to HA in order to do away with intermediate bridges and external cloud involvement. So I use these zwave motion sensors. Bonus points they’re pet friendly so our cats don’t set them off. They are super simple, simply has a jumper that is used to set 3 levels of sensitivity and being zwave simply work with HA.

@Burningstone Is it the RTCGQ11LM ? I can’t find hints that he supports much more than movement. If not please let me know the model. Tx

@poudenes Can you please tell me if you ment the NAS-PD01W? Tx. M
Like the design.