Motion sensor recommendation

Last triggered at value is intended and you would have to experiment with the luxury sensor. Specifying multiple sensor will activate the lights if any of those sensors activate. Maybe create a template sensor to be on when both sensors are on.

Sure, maybe a future release can contain an AND not only OR for sensor. For the moment will try to create a template sensor as suggested, thanks

1 Like

Raise a feature request on GitHub please if you have an account

for anyone interested thatā€™s the template

binary_sensor
  - platform: template
    sensors: 
      motion_and_low_light_kitchen:
        value_template: '{% if is_state("binary_sensor.pir_kitchen", "on") and states("sensor.illumination_kitchen")|float < 40 %} on {% else %} off {% endif %}'
        device_class: motion        
        friendly_name: Motion and low light Kitchen
1 Like

Dank u Bob. I will try this next week when I will be on site again. Enjoy the weekend, V

1 Like

I have the component installed, but for the life of me I canā€™t figure out how to call it, in the automation.yaml or itā€™s own config file? Thanks in advance

It creates an entity_id with lots of attributes related to the motion sensor in regards of trigger and timer

Check dev-state and then entity_id that start with lightingsm.YOUR_ENTITY_NAME_HERE

How to use the attributes? Well you will need to think by yourself or look around for examples

Thanks for the reply, Iā€™m aware of how to use attributes. Just couldnā€™t figure out why I wasnā€™t seeing the sensor. Iā€™m still not seeing it, the lightingsm.py file is in the custom components folder. I am using hassio, maybe thats why Iā€™m not seeing it? Iā€™m not getting any errors.

I am using also HASSIO, and just put the file in custom_component.
Did you do a lightingsm sensor in configuration.yaml?

That was the part that was messing me up, I was thinking it would create a generic entity to use in automations. Not realizing that I needed to create one each for multiple sensors.

For each motion activity you want to monitor you add a sensor. Below one sensor
Edit, i canā€™t format it from my phone but itā€™s the usual yaml formatting

lightingsm:
motion_light_entrance:
sensor: binary_sensor.pir_entrance2
entity: light.table_lamp2

Got it all working, Will be testing out after dark. Thanks for the help guys.

lightingsm:
  front_door:
    sensor: binary_sensor.front_door_motion
    entity: switch.front_door_switch
    delay: 30
  front:
    sensor: binary_sensor.front_motion
  garage:
    sensor: binary_sensor.garage_motion
    entity: group.frontlights
  west:
    sensor: binary_sensor.west_motion
    entity: switch.south_west_switch
  ne:
    sensor: binary_sensor.ne_motion
    entity: switch.back_door_switch
  nw:
    sensor: binary_sensor.nw_motion
  east:
    sensor: binary_sensor.east_motion
  se:
    sensor: binary_sensor.se_motion

I recommend you checkout my component. It will render all those automations unnecessary and solve your problem.

There is no need to do anything with the attributes :slight_smile: All automation is taken care off. If you wish to do more advanced things you can of course use the attributes and do more funky stuff. Let me know what you come up with :slight_smile:

Thanks for this component, itā€™s working great!

1 Like

@ Klagio
Might I ask what hardware you got for your 433mhz detector setup? And how did you bring it into home assistant? (which component)

And how will it compare to your other sensors in terms of detection delay, blind time and false positives?

I am still sitting on my fibaro oneā€™s, which seem to get more unreliable every day, so I really need to find a proper solution. In fact, after a complete reset of my HA installation & factory reset of all my 4 fibaro multisensors, I now have 2 of them in ā€œcrazyā€ mode (once they detect motion, they will get into a on/off loop).

Any 433MHz PIR sensor that works (90% of those in the market work) with the RF Bridge of Itead flashed with Tasmota. I recommend this bridge and not the Broadlink, because its way easier to setup. There are threads on this forum that talks extensively about both (bridge and compatible PIR), if you donā€™t find them will post the link.

Knowing @danny component before I would have just used those 433 and not Aqara or Zwave. For PIR sensor the simplest is the better

1 Like

yep, same pain as mine. I experienced the same crazyness with one zwave fibaro clone (neo coolcam) out of three.

I didnā€™t play too much with the 433MHz, but soi far detection time is instant. What is blind time? If you mean after how long they will be ready again, after a trigger, its almost instant probably few seconds.
False positive I do not think I had any, but I didnā€™t check it verey well, so far I installed just one in my entrance.

Basically a 5 Euro 433MHz PIR is better then a 10 Euro Aqara PIR, better then 25 Euro zwave coolcam PIR and betther then a 50 Euro zwave Fibaro PIR ā€¦

Also battery time needs to be checked, mine is on since 1 month, time will tell

please share your results, thanks

After said all that, I do think that a perfect presence sensor (we need that rather then motion, right?) its a thermal sensor