Motion sensor recommendation

@danny sun component is important, without every 2 months we need to reprogram trhe sensors with different sunrise, sunset values (unless, luckyly, you live in equator latitude).

How do youi use the

sensor_type_duration: True

I guess we are supposed to put a value in secods for the duration, if yes, how?

You don’t have to specify anything else. Just put that in your configuration and the sensors will be treated as duration sensors.

I can highly recommend the KERUI Wireless Intelligent PIR Motion Sensor.
I personally use a python script running on raspberry pi and a RF receiver module to capture signals. (No hub or bridge required)

I see: I have aqara which have a 60s duration, and neo coolcam which have 30s, will try with both and see whats going on

did you check battery value? Now I checked and my “crazy” zwave pir sensor has low battery, maybe thats the problem

Ok, that means the light will stay on for at least 60s according to the duration sensor. If you specify ‘delay’ light will stay on for ‘delay’ seconds (whichever is longer, delay or motion sensor built in timeout)

Okay that sounds great to be honest, and I love DIY stuff. Some thoughts:

• This guy is stating that the receiver is CPU intensive and a second rpi should be used. Can you confirm this, or is this covered by the bridge and thus non-relevant?
  • For the blind time, yeah the fibaros will be inactive for 15s or so after detecting motion. It would be important for me , because when you go in/out of a room this leaves you with no light automation because the sensors wont fire.
  • Can you connect more than 1 sensor to the same RF bridge?
  • I guess those sensors only trigger on motion, and don’t have any extras like temperature/luminance? Because I use the luminance sensor on the fibaros as conditions for the triggers, so I don’t turn on lights in bright daylight.

About your thoughts of thermal sensors: Maybe your right. Actually, I have a 4 room setup with 4 motion sensors, and I have some semi-smart logic which turns on/off lights whereever I need them, also coupled with conditions like “PC is turned on”, “TV is not running” etc. This works, however it gets screwed up as soon as there is more than 1 person in the appartment. Maybe a thermal sensor would be better, however I am unsure how to reliably detect persons in larger rooms, also with heaters maybe confusing the sensor.

With the bridge its irrelevant (I think). I would recommend it, its a 10 Euro object, neat, and works perfectly. I also like DIY but not when the end-result costs more, work possibly worse and look more ugly.

The itead bridge says 16 sensors to send signal TO. Since a PIR sensor is just a FROM signal, I think there is no limit (need to check that).
433MHz 5 Euro ones have no extras: juist sending trigger on motion.

Working great so far!

I see you put delay 30 seconds, which pir sensor model you have?

I am confused by the override part, if I put multiple sensor it’s also OR (it will NOT trigger if ANY override sensor is ON) correct?

Can I put both below sensors in override? Both should be ON when you DO NOT want to trigger light to on (hope i did correctly the logic). Does the below code make sense :smile:?

auto_lights_override:
      friendly_name: 'Auto Lights Override'
      value_template: >-
        {{  not ( ( state_attr('sun.sun','elevation')|int < 5 
             or ( state_attr('sun.sun','elevation')|int < 15 and states('sensor.dark_sky_cloud_coverage')|int > 90 ) )         
        }} 
guest_room_lights_override:
        value_template: '{% if is_state("binary_sensor.pir_guest_room", "on") and states("sensor.illumination_guest_room")|float < 40 %} off {% else %} on {% endif %}'
        device_class: motion        
        friendly_name: Motion and low light guest room

Just came across this:

Although there is no final solution in this thread, its the same topic and also interesting.

I looked at those thermal sensors but they are expensive and come without enclosure, so it’s a no for me

I just mean the topic of “perfect presence” detection in general is really interesting, and rather unsolved as of now. At least for more than 1 person in more than 1 room.

These are actually Blue Iris cameras that I have acting as motion sensors via mqtt at night and turn on the appropriate switch. I have Blue Iris doing the day/night switch, so nothing is sent to the sensor when sun is above horizon.

Entity is overridden when any override entity is ON.

Can I put more then one sensor as trigger? If yes I guess they work as OR?

I see you put sunrise/sunset, great! Just to make sure, If I put start time sunrise and stop time sunset is referring both to today, and if I put start time sunset and stop time sunrise are referring to today and tomorrow respectively, correct?

That is the idea. Can you confirm whether it works as expected?

Will do. Had many problems with automation in the past with sunset sunrise with day mismatch, hence I moved everything to sun elevation to avoid errors.
That’s why I am asking

its not working. Works only start with sunset and stop with sunrise, if you put any time in start or stop it breaks the component