Motion sensor recommendation

@stryker Thank you. Seems that the sensor need always wall mount?

Ou sorry, I mixed up the names, I meant the Aeotec Multisensor. I corrected my post.

True. The ball design

Can you pls tell me the model / type Tx.

NAS-PD01W

ā€œShenzhen Neo Electronics Co Ltd Battery Powered PIR Sensor V2ā€

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/NAS%252dPD01W.html?d=y&origin=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200306232624&SearchText=NAS-PD01W

1 Like

Hmmm, this is a WiFi sensor, but seams not to be a Z-Wave one.
Hints?

https://www.szneo.com/en/products/show.php?id=190

Sometimes webshops mess around with the 2 versions.
1 is without the magnet way of mount and have a different outside.

1 Like

They are designed to be wall mountedā€¦ I simply used velcro

Could you describe how you do this please?

Just paired them to zigbee2mqtt. Using automations like this :

- id: '1567689065684'
  alias: Licht badkamer aan
  description: Licht badkamer aan
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.ikeapir_occupancy
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: light.lichtbadkamer
    state: 'off'
  - below: '5'
    condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sun.sun
    value_template: '{{ state_attr(''sun.sun'', ''elevation'') }}'
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: light.lichtbadkamer
    service: light.turn_on

@FredTheFrog Those Mijia look exactly like the Aqara ones which have a 5 minute detection hold time. Is that the case with these as well? Iā€™m looking for something small, cheap, and with less than 10s hold time.

I most often see two-minute intervals of ā€˜motionā€™. Occasionally less.

1 Like

I must admit, I went cheapskate-mode when I bought mine (aliexpress) but to be fair they have worked pretty well for me over the last 18 months or so.

Except in one room. It is the room with the TV and everything is OK if the TV (or Sonos) is on but as soon as it goes off, if there is no significant movement the lights go off.

It is quite a big room and my sensor is just not sensitive enough at the distance involved and even the old arm-waving tactic doesnā€™t always work.

Can you comment on the range/sensitivity of these? It is about time I tried to ā€˜upgradeā€™.

One other option I have thought of would be to have a second sensor in that room.

Did someone else notice that Shelly will release the ā€œShelly motionā€ soon? A wifi PIR with MQTT built in. Seems the sensitivity is configurable too. So far Iā€™m using the Sonoff PIR most of the time, but Iā€™m not happy with the response time. Hue PIR is quite expensive, so Iā€™m really curious to this new Shelly product. Not sure when ā€œcoming soonā€ is.

says November. Kind of interested in that as well.

Have you tried cleaning them? Not sure if you can get inside but a lot of time dust or spiders screw with motion sensors. A good can of air in the inside can solve a lot of issuesā€¦

I just saw Shellyā€™s website about it today.

Seems nice, but they say they are using a Arm Cortex-M3 processor for it, so thereā€™s no hope for simple custom firmware like if it were running an ESP chip sadly.

Letā€™s hope the standard firmware is good then. Iā€™m very happy with the MQTT support. It should integrate very easily without the need of using cloud services.

Anyone else got a Konke zigbee motion sensor? I really like how small it is and works pretty fast. However I notice it sends a false trigger once every day (around the same time). I tried with deCONZ and zigbee2mqtt, same behaviour. I have a second motion sensor in that room (aqara) wich does not report motion. Also, when I removed and paired the Konke sensor, the false trigger also occureded at a different time than before. So looks like something is wrong with it.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s defective or that the Konke sensor is like this (all of them).

Also, anyone else have the Sonoff zigbee sensor? I have two of them, both horrible detection. Lot of missed triggers or simply not working for minutes on end, before detecting. Do I just have bad luck, or are they really that bad? Also tested with deCONZ and zigbee2mqtt. A shame, because theyā€™re small and cheap.

Sometimes I just think about getting a Hue sensor and be done with it. Theyā€™re expensive, but from what I hear they work very reliable and fast. At a certain point, Iā€™d rather pay $20 more and have a better experience without worrying.

Update 5 november 2020: I have no idea how and why, but the Sonoff sensors suddenly work extremely accurate sinds 2 days ago. I put them in a drawer after last time because they were crap. Decided to test them again (were still paired) and they suddenly work extremely accurate. Even faster than the Aqaraā€™sā€¦

Gonna test it more and ordere a couple extra if they remain this good.

Update 11 feb 2021: read this > Issues with Sonoff SNZB-03 motion sensor

1 Like

I know Iā€™m late to the party on this topic, but Iā€™m just starting out with HA. How did these work for youā€¦:+1: or :-1:? Thanks!