Motion sensors / automation / real life-scenario?

Hello,
I have philips hue bulbs, and aqara p1 sensors.

I am thinking about automation based on the movement, but even its pretty simple automation and there is Motion-activated light blueprint, there is still confusion on my side, and i am not sure if there is a chance to automate normal “life” scenario, ie.

Once person enter the room, the lx > alpha, turn on the light.
The question would be for how long to turn that light,… if only for some time, and it has to be manually turned off… or there is a way “somehow” keep sensor update and keep light on.
I am not sure if these sensors can monitor movement for example, person is typing on keyboard and not moving that much.

edi2:
Maybe it should be good idea to separate zones per “behavior”

• entrance / toilet zones: on movement turn on light for 5min, then auto turn off
  • living room / kitchen: on movement and if lx > alpha turn on light, afterward light has to be turned off manually, ie no auto turn off

Still happy to get more inspiration on such a topic.

Thanks!

The short answer is don’t use motion lights where you will be sitting still. Use them for places with movement, like hallways and kitchens.

In my lounge room I only use motion lights at night after everyone has been in bed (requires bed sensors).

Otherwise the lounge lights are always* directly controlled by the state of the lux sensor if the alarm is disarmed.

* if the lounge scene select helper is set to “Automatic”. Other possibilities with separate automations: “Movie” mode, “Manual”, “Bright” (for smoke alarms).

My living room has a led strip, it goes from 50% to 20% brightness during the evening, while people often pass through this room. And then after it’s turned off for the night, activating the presence sensor turns it on at 10%, detecting no presence waits for 30s and turns to 2% then waits another 2,5min to turn it off. (All 3 of those actions have checks in case someone set the brightness to above 10% or already turned it off) This is perfect for grabbing a midnight snack or going for a quick toilet break.

I have a presence sensor but for this use case, it’s pretty much the same as a motion sensor. Also, the key is to have the timeout on the sensor as short as possible and then set appropriate delays in your automations, so you can debug it more easily.

hi @tom_l

thats a great point, let me elaborate a bit more here,

• assume there is a movement detected by sensor, it triggers the light on.
  • but after some time light goes off, so is there some special “parameter” that can somehow constantly detecting movement and Keeps the light on all the time?
    Maybe i dont get it correctly.

what do u mean by bed sensors? Presence sensors? The purpose is that if someone wake up and wants to go to lounge … so there is no need to “look” for wall switches?

so basically in case alarm is disarmed - u are in home, there is constant light based on the lx?

Thats another thing … how to find out how many LX need how much light %?

Thanks!

Thats also very nice one. Question would be the implementation, yay…

what do you mean by delays here?

By timeout do you mean Detection interval of the sensor?

Thank you

You still don’t get what I am saying. Do not use motion lights in these rooms. Period.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/fsr-the-best-bed-occupancy-sensor/365795

In that particular room, when it is dark, (and when I am not in bed as well) yes. it is the room where I spend most of my time, other than the workshop.

@tom_l got it.

Regarding the Presence sensor, question would be … which one could be fully integrated with haas, as i read that aqara one doesnt support sleep detection.

Or are there some cheap and reliable sensors that do “presence” detection only?

Thanks

I tried the cheap Tuya 5GHz zigbee versions. Do not recommend. They are not sensitive enough to pick up micro movement like breathing but will happily trigger off moving trees outside a window :roll_eyes:

ah i was looking to these ;/ seems aqara is the only one - working reliable?