Motion Sensors Recommendation

So you’ve got a $125 motion sensor?!?!?!? Yikes!

what case/holder do you use for your PIR?

More like $5 a sensor including partial cost of mega. I have more than 15 motion sensors and 15 window/door sensors(Reed switches) attached to the Mega. Temperature sensors, a RFID scanner and a HM10 ble sensor too on it.

1 Like

I have few models that I 3d prints, few I designed and some downloaded from internet
45 degree
Screenshot_20181018_212401

One for walkway

Thanks. Are you able to share the STL files please?

So how long are your cabling runs?

These look really interesting. How do you connect them to power? I see the connection, but how is that actually connected to the house power? (I haven’t done much electrical work, total beginer in that department).

Here it is STL Files

1 Like

@murphys_law Some of it around 15m
@petro Sensors are powered from Arduino(5v), I did the quick connectors because I expected it to fail often(hasn’t happened yet except for a few DOA) and I can easily swap them.

1 Like

It’s impressive that the cable runs are that long, and you are not having issues. I may have to do something similar. Thank you.

You said you had issues running this sensor on an esp. was it being powered by 5v or 3.3v?

It was with 5v, It runs and works very well on esp8266, esp32 etc. I still have some of them running on esp8266 where it is very hard to run a wire.
Problem is it will fail randomly, maybe once a week or will disconnect from wifi when there is a motion and the instance will not be reported.
I had one in the toilet where it constantly reported motion when the fan is on. Generally not reliable to act as a trigger for lights.
Other issue is if you have more than one motion sensor in an esp they interfere with each other

I was just about to buy one of their dongles, but then I found out about zigbee2mqtt, which is an even better solution (cheaper and low overhead). Here’s the wiki entry for the getting started page: https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/wiki/Getting-started. I used everything that they listed there, and it works really well. It supports hue and a ton of other devices. I use a Xiaomi MiJia button with a motion detector of the same brand and they work every time. They’re quite cheap too, especially when you compare them to the likes of Aeotec or Fibaro.

EDIT: Also sorry for really late reply

Just another thought about the issues you have with the ESP chips. Have you tried a few filter(blocking) capacitors? Might make a difference.

You could try them both on the motion sensor end, and on the mcu end.

I use Xiaomi Motion Sensors but I can’t think of a good logic or find examples to make them even better. They are quick to sense motion but it’s everything after that I struggle with. (Lights turning off while in the shower or while cooking dinner etc…) but like others have said a very reasonable price. I’ll eventually figure out a better code!

One way is to add a timer to motion events. AKA: don’t turn the lights off until there is no motion for “xx” minutes.

The only issue with the Xiaomi motion sensors that I have is the 2 minute time out to go back to ‘no motion’. In some situations, that is too long for my needs.

I use cheap RF motion sensors withe 433toMQTT nodeMCU board for situations where I need a quicker time out. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Hi,
I recently bought 4 of the Hue sensors and paired them using the HUSBZB-1 controller with ZHA component. However, my devices keeps going offline and automation are not often triggered. How did you setup your sensors and how are they working so far with HASSIO? I am considering getting some zigbee outlets to use as a repeater, hoping that it will improve the network. I am also considering paring them to the Hue Hub instead and maybe that would be better?

I would love to get your response to understand your situation with the sensors. Thank you.

Are you saying that you have 15 motion sensors that are all using wired communication rather than wireless because of this setup? I am new to this and am considering ideas on how to best automate a new home that I am purchasing.

Yes, I have 10 motion sensors already connected to the Arduino Mega and have another 10 slots remaining to be transferred from old sensors(which are not time critical). I have 11 door/window sensors, a temp/hum sensor, a light sensor, rfid reader all connected to this as well.
Overall very economical. I had the wiring for the sensors done when I built the house last year.

1 Like