Mount remote smb share on hassio

How do I find out what the HA system-user is? I tried creating a user called homeassistant on the Synology and gave it explicit permissions to everything, and using those credentials still results in a return code 111.

HAā€™s os is root, HA uses root + you ā€œyour-user/login nameā€, samba is samba-user ā€¦ what user did you use to mount-on hassio ?

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but does that depend on how I connected to run it? I used putty to connect to the ssh that I configured in the Terminal & SSH Add-on.

I guess you then logged into Ha, with your HA username, so you should have the right ā€œcredentialsā€ then ā€œAdministratorā€ in HA, root in terminal/SSH ā€¦ easiest way is to login through ssh again and type ā€œwhoamiā€

ā€¦and this sounds like ā€œgreekā€ to me and ā€œescape special charactersā€ ? ā€¦ donā€™t use them if itā€™s not supported

PS: Have you read/tried any of the examples above ?, on howto Mount ā€¦ or maybe some other ā€œhalfā€ official guide

Ah, TIL, thank you. I know whoami works in a windows command line, didnā€™t even think to try that.

I think I butchered that. I meant that putting them in ''s would indicate itā€™s a string, like in SQL. I just tried to replicate and Iā€™m not seeing the error I did before, so there must have been something else going on. At any rate, removing the ''s has the same effect. Shouldnā€™t one of them return an error for a bad password? I did enable debug but the only mention of homeassistant.components.shell_command in the log is it with a bunch of other components.

This is the first method I have tried. Honestly I wasnā€™t sure which of the other methods applied to me, and figured I should ask for advice on what to try. If you know of a guide that I could take a look at that would be awesome. Iā€™ll also keep looking.

is it a windows ā€œpartitioned(ntfs)ā€ disk you try to share ? ā€¦ if so , i wouldnā€™t even try to do that, but feel free to read ā€œbackwardsā€ from here, post by post, and even try ā€œotherā€ search terms along your ā€œlearning-stepsā€, might be other Topics , with a solution for you ā€¦, beside reading post/topics gets you additional knowledge about your own system Linux/window/samba/network etc

I donā€™t believe so. To my understanding the Synology DSM is a heavily modified Debian distro. Does that mean that I should be using a different method to mount the drive? Sorry, I havenā€™t had a lot of exposure to linux so am trying to learn about that in addition to how to get HA to do what I want.

Thank you for the advise. I did find another thread along these lines but it talked a lot about portainer which apparently is discontinued. I will keep digging through it to see if I can glean anything.

I just looked in the Storage manager for the Synology and it looks like itā€™s a btrfs. I suppose thatā€™s going to be a completely different method.

dont use username or password with ā€œspaceā€ or other special characters, unless you are sure that all device, OS, Software that should communicate with eachother supports this,

i suppose so, but itā€™s the mount that seems wrong , i donā€™t know anything about synology

But you get a " Connection refused", so either you donā€™t have right user/passwd, or not enabled samba on your nas, or wrong path
ā€¦ thats why i asked about the ā€œdiskā€ ā€¦ user ā€œguestā€ ?, i would never have used this, but same user as either HA or samba, and in regards to the path, i obviously canā€™t say anything as i dont know your system ā€¦ but i try to be ā€œgenericā€, so if a mount a disk in linux, i use same file-system/cluster size on the disk,i even have an extra disk for files, configs/backups etc, same file system ā€¦ why complicate things or ā€œcreateā€ additional" fault points ?, various techs is complicated enough ā€¦ and donā€™t forget to make sure you use supported nfs version

PS: and donā€™t for get to change this ā€¦ Donā€™t use ā€œspecial charactersā€ you donā€™t even know if supported

So I tried to take the Synology out of the picture and just share a folder on my win10 laptop, changed security to give ā€œEveryoneā€ access, and Iā€™m still getting permission denied errors, when trying both nfs and cifs. I did temporarily turn off Windows firewall so I donā€™t think itā€™s a port issue, unless my router is doing something weird. I think Iā€™m going to walk away from this one and maybe come back fresh another day. Thanks for your help @boheme61

Which integration/ADD-Onn are you using ? and how does your settings look like there ?

Are you sure you have followed the ā€œInstallationā€ guide for your Samba ? as i donā€™t use configuration.yaml but th ADD-Onn to configure the Samba, above looks pretty ā€œsimpleā€ as there is no ā€œallow_hosts:ā€ etc. , and as i mention before " Donā€™t use username/password with space or other ā€œspecialā€ characters

I think you are in the wrong thread.
This thread is about mounting an external samba share from a samba server not about using Home Assistant as a samba server!

ok, yes it seems so when going through all posts from scratch, didnā€™t even know that HA was able to ā€œtalkā€ samba, without an Add-On or Integration ā€¦ but maybe thatā€™s not needed, when trying to authenticate to the external samba-server

So at-least i can try to give a ā€œFinalā€ hint, if itā€™s helpful ā€¦

From: below, thou seems like various solution for Supervised vs HassOS

2 Likes

ā€¦ And some more from Reddit:

level 2

eruisi

Op Ā· 4 mo. ago

I tried to config NFS in QNAP NFS and mount from regular linux host, but got connection refused:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.200:/Download /mnt/download
mount: mounting 192.168.1.200:/Download on /mnt/download failed: Connection refused

Continue this thread

level 1

DopeBoogie

Ā· 4 mo. ago

Impossible? Not exactly.

Difficult/next-to-impossible? Yeah pretty much.

You have the right general idea, though I believe only NFS is possible and itā€™s extremely picky about versions/configuration.

You will also need to run these commands from outside of the home assistant container though, which means that it canā€™t be done through the HA terminal or ssh add-on. Youā€™ll need to use the debug-mode ssh to access the host system in order to run the mount commands.

This involves using a USB flash drive to import an ssh key (password is not an option, youā€™ll have to use keys) and once successful you can ssh into :2222 to access the host system.

OK, so managed to get into Debug (on 22222) but I dont have the cifs.utils installed. What package manager is being used, or how can I install the cifs and nfs utils for mount?