Mounting an internal SSD

As usual for me, I recently dove into the deep end with a new shiny object that is HA. Among the many untidy loose ends that I’ve played around with is Frigate. I have everything installed on an older Dell Optiplex, and have been awaiting an M.2 Tensor module that should be arriving soon. One of the things that has been stumping me is how to mount an internal SSD drive so that I can move that media path to a larger volume. I have HA installed on an M.2 drive. I found a few YouTube videos explaining what looks like a pretty complex method of using root access and a few Linux commands. I know precious little about Linux-based platforms, and much of what exists on the web with step-by-step guidance is geared toward older versions of HA and typically for RPi installations.

If anyone out there has the time to explain what I’m up against, or knows of better documentation on this I would appreciate the hand-holding.

I have a few other missing puzzle pieces to my system that I will likely post about soon.

In general, if it’s for Linux, it doesn’t matter what the CPU architecture is. So, in other words, those tutorials for older versions of HA and Raspberry Pi will most likely work without much trouble.

Plug it in and find the device ID
Use that to define the drive in /etc/fstab

Both drives in the system show multiple devices as partitions. I don’t even know how to tell if my HA installation is also on a smaller partition than the driver’s capacity. Is there an HA add on that functions like a device manager? I’ve been pecking at keyboards since since IBM DOS days, but feel out of my element with Linux commands.
Do I need to follow all the steps to get root level access? Importing CONFIG files and auth keys and all that stuff seems like a lot for something simple.

I’ve messed around with other RPi projects, but always relied heavily on step by step guides.

I used a modified version of udev rules for internal drives

You can use this add-on to get ssh access

Then put the udev rules in manually.

Then you can also use via ssh

lsblk to list the block disks

fdisk to make or edit partitions

makefs to make an ext4 partition

And e2label to label the disks partitions to conform to the udev rule.

2 Likes

I really duffed the whole Coral M.2 plan. I thought I might be able to insert the TPU into where the Dell Optiplex has a WiFi module. The pins are keyed differently, so I’ll have to rethink my storage options. I am planning on moving my HA install from the nvme drive to the SSD drive and using the same drive for everything. This will free up the M.2 slot for the TPU.

I’ve been meaning to develop a backup and restore plan anyway, so this will give me a chance to do that without too much risk.

I just need to decide which method works best for migrating the OS from one drive to another. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Do a backup and then install the OS onto the drive as you usually would. Then after you get it booted up, restore that backup. Its pretty easy and Ive done it a few times.
It can take a while to restore a backup, depending on the speed of the drive.

1 Like