Move from HASS.IO on Sd to an SSD?

I have just installed Hass.io onto a RPI4 with 4GB. I used the image for the pi4 32 bit from the Home Assistant site.

Is the a way for me to move my image to an SSD? I have read lots of post but they are all confusing to me, I am a relative NOOB, and it seems like a lot of work, from what I have read. I’m not afraid of work but it all seems pretty confusing to me. I was hoping there was a way to backup my image and then burn it to an SSD.

The configuration is all that matters, so you really want to do the following:

• Back up your config via a Snapshot in Hass.io
  • Retrieve the tar file for the snapshot from your existing installation via the Samba backup share (you’ll need to have the Samba addon installed)
  • Install Hass.io on your SSD, including the Samba addon. This will be a fresh installation.
  • Copy your snapshot file to the backup directory of your new Hass.io install
  • Hit the “refresh” button in the top right of the Snapshot page
  • Restore the snapshot

Everything should be back exactly as you left it.

2 Likes

I did the exact same thing, and it worked like a charm!

So thumps up for this step by step guide! :+1:

Sound good, but how do I get hass.io onto the ssd? Do I burn it using etcher, just I did for the SD card?

This goes into some detail on how to do it: Rpi 4 installation

Thanks, but that is awful confusing to me. Can’t I just burn the RPI4 image to the SSD, put on the SAMBA addon and then use my backed up config to bring my setup onto the SSD?

I assume the RPI4 will boot from the SSD correct?

Sure, you could try. It just sounds like it won’t work. Report back!

Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups. Assume nothing.

1 Like

Didn’t work and I am totally confused with the instructions above. How do I get Hass.io onto the SSD if I can’t boot PI4 from the ssd?

to my knowledge, it’s not possible to install and boot hass.io to/from SSD drive. This is a request feature for future hass.io versions.
BUT you can install rasbpian OS and then the homeassistant (not hass.io) on SSD and boot from there on a raspberry pi3B+

And on Rpi 4 you can boot from sd card but have your root filesystem on USB/SSD. Then there is no danger of data corruption through loss of the SD card.

Do you know the exact steps to make this work? I have read many ways and tried them all. No luck.

I have HASS.IO image for RPI4 on an SSD and buster on an SD card.

Frankly I would run raspbian on the rpi4 and run hassio over the top of raspbian. There are plenty of howtos for installing raspbian in the way I suggest.

Then hassio on top of that https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-on-a-generic-linux-host

1 Like

OK, but how do I get to run on the SSD instead of the SD card?

Have you heard of google?

2 Likes

Are you using the latest RC version of HassOS or the stable version?

Yes, and I have searched and read and read and read. Non tell me how to get my application, HASS.IO onto the SSD on top of raspbian nor how to run it if I did get it there. Please understand I am a NOOB when it comes to this stuff on a PI. I can us eall the help you folks are willing to provide.

1 Like

First follow the guide posted above to install Rasbian on the SSD.

Once that’s up and running then just follow the guide on the Hass.io page for installing on a generic Linux install.

Thank you Philip. I will try that. I have tried other ways and all have failed.

Does this also apply for a raspberry pi 3B+?