Move server control up

It is disabled for you because you are using yaml to configure it. If you were to remove that config, it would become editable in the UI. This is your choice.

1 Like

This thread didn’t start as a feature request, it was moved to feature requests from the 0.107 release thread as it started to get off topic.

Confusing. My apologies @fiftys. Maybe it should be retitled.

1 Like

I doubt the number of mobile users of Home Assistant is pretty small. And for those that using Home Assistant while in motion, I would expect they’d rather prefer some service that can be invoked to update the location from some location source, like a GPS receivers. It seems really unlikely that manual updates for a mobile instance is the use-case to optimize for.

So you think the number of mobile users is pretty high? :wink:

Anyway the devs are not optimizing HA for these mobile instances. It’s just that most people configure the location through the UI, especially beginners, as it is part of the onboarding process. And in general, an option to configure something in the UI should not be removed just because you or other people are not using it.

I never suggested the number of mobile users was tiny, my point is that a more practical solution for mobile users is some automated way to maintain their location, not a UI. That’s the whole point of this home automation stuff, right? Have the system do the thing for you.

As far as not removing UI elements just because some or most are not using it… Well the entire States UI is going away because of constant evolution. I’m sure some people continue to use it. That’s not a bad thing.

Personally, I’m not sure why the onboarding UI continued to be front and center after the one time it’s used. Like the original poster, this is just junk UI I Have to scroll past to get to the server menu item which is used much more frequently.

1 Like

Totally agree on this. The UI for the location should be at the bottom of the page and server control on the top.

But if you would skip the option to configure the location in the UI after onboarding. How should users change their location, when they move to a new house for example? Start from scratch or change something in a .json file, which breaks the whole system if it’s not done correctly? That’s not user-friendly.

The lat/lon/elevation could surely be automated via gpsd.

I’m kind of confused on this discussion.

From some of the comments above (needing to scroll past the onboarding stuff to get to the server controls, moving the server controls to the top above the onboarding stuff, etc) it seems that people are seeing the “onboarding” configuration UI on the same page as the “server control” UI stuff.

Is that true?

If so, what versions are those users on?

I’m on the latest and all of the onboarding stuff (“General”) is in a completely separate page/tab as the the “Server Control” stuff. And it has been that way for a while except that with the last couple of releases clicking on any one of the “General”, “Server Control” or “customization” links brings up a page with all of those different areas in tabs at the top of the page.

If you guys are seeing the same things then I have literally no idea why this is such a big deal. :man_shrugging:

I agree that back when they first added all of the onboarding config to the same page as the server control stuff was on it was kind of silly to need to scroll way past the onboarding stuff (that almost no one ever uses) to get to the bottom of the page for the server controls (that almost everyone uses). But that situation has changed.

What am I missing?

Having installed multiple ha’s not the old hassio. as testing platforms, Im fairly certain that during the on-boarding you dont have a choice, when you get to that page you have to fill it out to proceed which adds it to the configuration.

Might be my choice, without having the choice? duno

??

what are you asking.

he posted saying 90% of my posts are asking for features to be removed.

Showing him that isnt the case. This is probably the second feature I have questioned ever.

Maybe he has me confused, i dunno. no biggy…

As far at this thread is concerned, I didnt start it. an admin rightfully moved it out of the 107 thread, where admittedly I posted because i knew it would get attention – my-bad there.

to be honest, i just want the server controls back up top. thats all…

1 Like

zero votes because this is not difficult…

Depending on what resolution your screen is and how far you have it enlarged. Also a lot of people seem to be obsessed by running on their phones, so the problem is exacerbated.

I get that, and I use my phone for HA control, but never for editing yaml etc. That is where a big screen is a must in my opinion. I generally view HA with Chrome set at 80% zoom so things fit better and there is less scrolling required.

Alternate proposal: make the list sortable. That way anyone can move the items they use most frequently to locations they consider useful for themselves. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I just tried it on my phone too.

I’m still not seeing the big deal.

I don’t know when you last tried a fresh installation but you fill it out and it adds it to .storage, not your configuration.yaml. The default configuration.yaml is much more bare than it used to be.

i believe the last time i did an install for testing was 105, or 106. Not sure. thats interesting to know though.