Move ZWave stick to usb-hub

I’m running HA in a Proxmox VM on a NUC. Currently my AOTEC ZWave stick Gen5 is plugged into the front panel USB port of the NUC. As I would rather not have it stick out like it currently does, I want to move it to a USB-hub that’s already attached to the NUC. Problem is that once I move the stick to the hub it is no longer detected. The hub already contains a ConBee stick and a RFXtrx433. Both working fine.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks, Ben

Did you verify it is detected on the host pc?

How are you addressing your stick in HA?

To start, you need to be using the device-by-id address in your integration config (find it in the hardware listing in your install), it will look like: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102N_USB_to_UART_Bridge_Controller_[biglonguniquestring] instead of the USB port listing like /dev/ttyACM0.

This ensures that when you move the stick, you’re addressing the actual stick serial interface - not through the port’s interface. As to anything else you need to do for Proxmox to ensure you’re passing the hub into the HA VM- I’ll leave that to those who use Proxmox.

I’m using the ID_SERIAL (0658:0200), which Proxmox shows if the device is attached to the NUC. In which case I can see it using lsusb in a terminal.
If I attach the stick to the usb-hub it doesn’t show in lsusb. Not sure if this is an issue with the stick or with the hub. All other devices attached to the hub work fine, so it may be an issue with the stick.

In Proxmox, go to the VM and click on Hardware. This is where you configure the USB pass-through. Since you moved the USB stick, it probably has a new USB address in Proxmox now, and the hardware configuration needs to be edited to point the the stick in its new location. Once you make this change, power down the HA VM, then power it back on. If you set everything correctly, HA should see the stick again.

As soon as I attach the stick to the usb-hub it is no longer detected, i.e. does not show up in lsusb. I even did a reboot of the server, still not detected. I must have another usb-hub somewhere, I’ll give that a try (if I can find it…) and post the result.
For now, thanks for all the help.