Moving away from Raspberry?

Hi, I’m currently running Hass.io on a Raspberry pi 3. This was my first experience with Home Assistant so I figured it was a safe bet to install this. I’ve got it setup and it’s all working fine, but I’m a bit scared of the SD card breaking due to the read/write actions… I dont think this will happen any time soon (started using it halfway september this year) but I’d rather not find out the hard way. :slight_smile:
So as a next step I want to move to another more robust installation.

I have a Lenovo Thinkcenter M900 (i5 6500T, 16Gb Ram, 500Gb SSD) currently running W10, which I would like to use for this. But I’m a bit lost on what would be the best setup for this. I’m a total noob with Linux (but willing to learn!) and tio be honest I’m a bit scared to go that path…

Could you please advise me on what would be the best way to proceed? And maybe point me to a good tutorial (if any) I could use for this?

That’s up to you, really. What do you want it to look like in the end?

If you want Hassio, I would suggest these instructions:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oKhnQ1rz-Yd5HheA8rNk5YNq8e67-5Kh

Basicly I’d like to have the same as I have now, but on a more stable platform. So, the second instruction in your link looks like what I want so I’ll start with that. Thanks for your reply :+1:

A Pi with Good quality SD card and a proper power supply does quite well. Any system, whether running on a SD card, or on a spinning disk, need to be backed up because stuff happens. If you want, you can even get high write endurance SD cards targeted at video recorders.

I’ve been running on a Pi since around version 0.26. I’ve had 1, maybe two cards fail. The recovery is pretty painless as long as you have a good backup. I’ve done more rebuilds do to user error in the early days, that I have for failed SD cards. I would say the M900 is major overkill and would have more maintenance than a Pi with Hassio.

Hmm ok, now i’m doubting to move over… haha :slight_smile:
I have google drive backup running so I’ve got that covered. If the SD card fails, would it be a matter of reinstalling hassio on a new one, copy one of my backups with samba to the backup folder and then restore?

If you want a faster system then upgrade to the Pi 4. It is as good as a low-end x86 system if not more so depending on what you want (low power, small size, etc). The Pi 4 even supports full gigabit ethernet now. I offload my history to a database hosted on another system running with a regular SSD which prevents my SD cards from having issues.

Hi,
I just went from RPi3b running Hassbian to a laptop with SSD. I installed Ubuntu and HassIO in docker and now I wished I did that a long time ago :slight_smile:
It’s much faster.

Give it a go :slight_smile:

E.

1 Like

Even if you migrate to a different platform to run HA, backup and restore is the migration process.

After having problems with 2 SD cards (one original that come with RPi3 and one very fast A2 grade) I decided to move away from RPi. First I tried moving to native Synology package in Docker (did not worked well, perhaps because I’m running XPEnology, not real Synology NAS). So I decided to move to ESXi - this time using native hassio VMWare package converted from Workstation to Server. Work like a charm! Very fast, very stable, easy to backup as whole (VMWare snapshots based backups of entire VM). Additionally I moved to Maria DB running on XPEnology - night and day when looking at history or logbook! I’d never go back!

1 Like

Ran on a Pi for a year or two but was getting issues with the SD card and it was slow. Now docker on Synology NAS and I’ll never look back. Easy to update, backup, runs fast, runs smooth and on Synology even the biggest idiot can install it. No need for Linux commands, ssh or stuff like that.

1 Like