Moving data disk in HAOS running in Proxmox

Hey everyone,

I bought a Minisforum MS-01 just 2 weeks ago because I was planning to slowly migrate HA and some other things to it - on Proxmox.
Well I kind of had to hurry up because just 2 days ago I woke up to a “dumb home”. Intel NUC apparently had enough and refused to boot.

Backups saved my bacon, I used a helper script to install HAOS in Proxmox, restored backup, changed config for Frigate, added backup and media storage, added another drive, moved data disk and it was up and running in about 30 minutes.
The helper script is great but it only added a 32 GB hard drive. I had to make it a bigger one so I added a 250 GB SSD to it and used the “Move Data Disk” function to migrate everything to the new drive.
Today I tried removing the old drive and suddenly the VM wouldn’t boot up again. My guess is that it has something to do with UEFI.
Any ideas where to start looking for the issue? I tried checking in “UEFI config tool (at boot)” and couldn’t add a boot drive from there. Drive is seen in UEFI interface but there is no option to boot from it.
I tried searching and DuckDuckGo-ing with no luck. Even ChatGPT tried to be smart about it but couldn’t help. In the end I just restored image backup from yesterday so it’s now working again.

If anyone has any ideas what to do, or at least what terms to search for, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I did the same, but rather than moving the data disk, I just used the resize option to change it from 32GB to 100GB. I’m pretty sure it was automatically picked up.

Proxmox supports automatically resizing VM and LXC disks. Look up the “pct resize” command in the command line.

Example

root@pve1:~# pct resize 109 rootfs 3G
  Size of logical volume pve/vm-109-disk-0 changed from 2.00 GiB (512 extents) to 3.00 GiB (768 extents).
  Logical volume pve/vm-109-disk-0 successfully resized.
resize2fs 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
Filesystem at /dev/pve/vm-109-disk-0 is mounted on /tmp; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1
The filesystem on /dev/pve/vm-109-disk-0 is now 786432 (4k) blocks long.

Resizing disks (only enlarging) is also possible from the Proxmox webUI: select VM or LXC → Resources → select disk → Volume action

1 Like