Moving to new house what hardware should I buy

Unipi looks really interesting going to examine this. It has a pi built-in so you can program what you want

I think that’s good solution for development or small project, to control a whole house, I would look for something more reliable than a raspberry. It’s unlikely it will run for 10/20 years without problem/sd card corruption.

And one bug per year (with a few hours downtime) is more than enough to make the rest of your house hate your installation ^^

Why dont go for Xiaomi Switches? Then you can controll them via HA and via the physical button.
And some WiFi smart plug for window lamps, that you can controll via HA and the button on the smart plug.

Motion sensors/ door senors you can use Xiaomi, sure you need to change battery sometimes but thats not a super big problem.

Easy and not to expensive soulotion.

their new product line does not include raspi but another processing power basically you could use nodered & hass control everything with wired connections.

You still need a server where hass needs to run, so if your server fails…

https://www.unipi.technology/hardware_documentation/technical-intro-to-neuron-products-41

That’s exactly the point, you need something that run without hass too. Like Knx where you simply define “this switch -> this relay”.
So if hass fail, you can still use the switch to control your house.
And the rest of the time (hass not failing) you can control your relay/pool the switch and relay status, through hass.

Like @Daniel_Gronlund says, the XiaoMi switch are well conceive for that purpose, because they let you turn the light on/off even if the server/connection is lost.

I had hoped this would run on their own so without the need of an external server

I think it can, better check with them directly

From what I understand about the neuron is that their is a rpi inside so you can run everything you want. So if we run Hass on it we can use or standard switches as inputs and or lights with the relays as output. So when internet is down it still functions. Only downside is that if the rpi crashes nothing works.

I’ve read they are going to offer a new product in 2018 q2

@touliloup XiaoMi switch is nice but then i have change all my switches which is expensive i want something i can reuse my old switches

just found this http://www.sedtronic.cz/en_about-module-railduino-v1.3,78.html it has an arduino inside so you can program that with mqtt and is stabler than a rpi

The Railduino looks interesting, that would be a nice alternative to my own MQTT/Relais setup.
The only thing I’m wondering is, does it support PoE? I noticed it consists of an optional ethernet shield, I’ll have to do more research on that…

That seems like a very good solution this Railduino :slight_smile:

It need 24V, so a POE splitter could always be a solution (the board they use is the standard Ethernet shield, which doesn’t include POE)

@Sennevds It’s a little costly, but I’d go 100% Insteon (with an ISY controller); been using them for years, and they work wonderfully. In the past 10 years, none of my wall switches have ever failed, or needed any user interaction (configuration changes, etc). Plus, they work via wired and wireless connections (non-wifi) and communicate with each other to form a mesh network, a lot like zwave, just more reliable in my opinion. Anyways that’s my two cents.

I believe it’s very stable but you still need to buy new switches. With railduino or something else like this you can reuse everything