MQTT 5.11 issue

Has anyone with these difficulties tried running mosquitto_sub with the --debug option? I don’t have the problem so little point in me doing so.

how can it be a lead if Taras has said he hasn’t updated to 5.11 yet?

why would you do that? I am using MQtt for external home automation system too, and wonder if that would be better now you say you do?

After I thought I had successfully updated the system to 5.11, I decided to downgrade again because of the lag that showed connecting to MQTTExplorer, using the same account that is. (as I had always done before). Isnt that same account necessary for being able to check the traffic on that account going into HA?

No; I never updated to 5.11 (still using 5.1). After reading that some people experienced decreased performance I decided to hold off until it was resolved. However, the situation has clearly grown to be more complicated and it appears I will stay with 5.1 for awhile (I don’t have the time to discover if I am one of the unlucky few and then to determine why).

1 Like

Mostly because I’m old fashioned and believe every client needs its own account. :slight_smile: When I look at mosquitto’s log, I can see a record of who logged in (or didn’t) and when. However, I drew the line at Tasmotized devices. I have too many to give each one its own account so they all share the same account BUT use a distinctive client-session identifier. If they all shared the same account and client-session id, it would be communications chaos.

1 Like

wait, I am confused. I gave my clients the same login and pw as I set in the Brokers settings.

This way, I believed I had to configure the communication between my HA MQTT instance with the Add-on broker (only, next to the bluetooth tracker), the external Home automation system, and my production HA system consuming all that.

How could I have configured this differently?

This post makes no sense.

this post too… and it doesn’t help the case any further. and it is unnecessarily insulting.

please be gentle and enlighten me why I seem so foolish to you?

I use a ha user as well - no defined user in the addon.
But I also have active true and have set up an access control list with an acl file.

For example, what does this snippet refer to?

When you configure MQTT Parameters for a Tasmotized device, it asks for:

Host
Port
Client  <--- This should be unique if all devices are using the same User account
User <--- Username of a User account
Password <--- Password for the User account
Topic
Full Topic

The correct term is “ClientID” and its purpose is nicely explained here:
HiveMQ MQTT Essentials: Client, Broker / Server and Connection Establishment

Check mosquitto’s log. Each device will be logging in with the same username, which means you won’t be able to tell one device from another, but the log should show each one is using a different ClientID (what I referred to as a session identifier).

As absurd as it sounds, i am having problems as well although my mosquitto broker is bare metal, not addon. I use supervised HA on ubuntu, i know it is not supported; but the delay problems on my openzwave beta-mqtt (I know that is not supported as well) came out after upgrading the HA to 2021.4.2 from 2021.1. I have not updated the Bare metal mosquitto during this process, only HA. Now when i press open or close on zwave covers, i have to press 5-6 times in order to make it work, with delays. Just saying maybe it’s not only the addon. Sorry if this is unrelated and silly as it sounds; just trying to understand if i am suffering the same problem…

that is my effort to try to explain the functionality of my HA instance with the Mqtt add-on. It has nothing else besides the add-on, the bluetooth tracker, and the mqtt integration to be able to publish the bluetooth devices.

Still, you said I made no sense. While I was at least trying to. So why the hostile attitude? What is it with this community lately.

thanks Taras, it simply never occurred to me I could have set different client Id’s, and I always (for the past 3 1/2 years) could identify them based on there IP address or the part after as which is the session identifier you mention?

Still, I wouldn’t understand why anything of this would be a lead to identifying the issue, let alone be part of the solution. My Mqtt settings have not changed since, and even after updating to the latest HA the only difference in the MQTT setup is either 5.1 or 5.11.

As said, Im good at 5.1, and will obediently and patiently await an eventual solution…

To clarify, I provided the explanation only because you had asked:

why would you do that?

after you read my reply to VPC where I had indicated I employ multiple User accounts (and that was after I had explained one can authenticate with the broker using Home Assistant’s User accounts as opposed to the broker’s logins option).

Beyond that, I’m not suggesting it has anything to do with the performance problems some users (including you) have reported after upgrading to 5.11.

understood! And thanks for that.

reason I asked about the ‘lead’ was because Petro suggested this could be just that. Hope he will explain why, so we could try to ‘debug’ this further.

btw, would you know the setting for the logger to set log level to debug on the Add-on?

From here:

log_type types

Choose types of messages to log. Possible types are: debug, error, warning, notice, information, subscribe, unsubscribe, websockets, none, all.

Defaults to error, warning, *notice *and information. This option may be specified multiple times. Note that the *debug *type (used for decoding incoming/outgoing network packets) is never logged in topics.

Reloaded on reload signal.

I maybe mistaken but I think Petro response may have been to VPC above 123 post

It was a combination of both. I didn’t realize 123 was running an old version.

To add another data point, I’m using Home Assistant authentication and am not noticing any issues.

2 Likes

be careful now, because Nick might accuse you of posting unscientific evidence :wink:

the issue of this issue apparently is that not everyone is seeing it. The people that do should post about it and about their config. And about the changes in their config, before and after seeing the issue.

For most of these users (except for 1 I believe, Febalci above), the one identifying change was the upgrade of the Mqtt add-on from 5.1 to 5.11.

Not the way they had configured their login, not their hardware.
Of course this update could have coincided with anything else, so we should ask people to think really hard whether they did something next to that Mqtt update. Was Ha updated at the same time? (thank you Febalci). Or any other software/hardware change maybe?

In my setup all my 3 machines were already update to the latest version before it happened.

Then there is the thing of reproducibility: Most users report that when downgrading (if they can) the response is immediately as before. As can I. Wouldn’t this warrant a first conclusion to search in the direction of the updated add-on and its underlying libraries?

Of course, this should al be done in the Github issue, to give the dev team as much data as possible to be able to debug this…

bottom line is what srnoth says here: Mosquitto 5.1.1 is broken. · Issue #1887 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub