MQTT Alarm Buzzer

In my opinion the manual alarm control panel is one of the best features you should have in your Homeassistant. It doesn’t require any special hardware. You can use any of your typical sensors and smart switches (like IKEA Tradfri, Shelly, Sonoff and many more) or you can build your own hardware control panel. There is only one problem. It won’t give you feedback unless you are controlling it through the Homeassistant app. Because I prefer the headless usage, I’ve decided to build my own WiFi enabled MQTT buzzer, which beeps every time when I arm or disarm the alarm.

This project is very easy, you’ll need only following components:

• ESP8266, ESP32, Arduino or any of your favourite microcontrollers
  • Piezo buzzer – you can use any (passive) piezo buzzer which works with 3,3v
  • Running MQTT Broker in Homeassistant

Are you interested? Take a look at my repository and specially README.md

I think it’s cool but two remarks. First, as far as i know wifi is not recommended for security projects, second, this kind of 3V buzzer can be rather quite for such a purpose

Maybe not recommended but i used a d1 mini (not this project) to control a piezo buzzer in my old house and it was pretty loud for the door chime. I now have a two story house, so im going to use two d1 mini’s/piezo buzzers to make sure they can be heard throughout the house, but 1 should be fine if located in a central location of the house.

My motivation was to inform us that the alarm is still on. Because when we forget to turn it off, I’ll receive contant notifications :smile: