MQTT Alarm Control Panel for Raspberry Pi and Android

You can also try using an externally powered speaker, that will produce the beeping sound as well. I do have a cheap buzzer hooked up and its working fine. I 100% understand about the kids, please take mine!! :slight_smile:

Have been using this on my android phone and is working perfectly! Thank you!!

For a permanent installation I am tempted to buy a cheap android phone rather than Pi/Screen as it would be a cheaper all in one solution?

Anyone know of a cheap android handset I could use for this?

Thanks

Check the pre-paid phones at WalMart or Target if you are in the US of A

I was able to do a bit more for the Android version. I’ve included a web view to load either your Home Assistant instance or HADashboard. Android Things does not currently support loading web pages. I have also updated the layouts to fit smaller device screens. I am using an old 2012/13 Nexus 7" as well and it works fine. You could consider buying a used tablet.

1 Like

Good to know that you. Ebay may be the answer. Anyone know a device that has physical buttons at the bottom? Been testing on a device that doesn’t have buttons and the carrier info / buttons etc are overlayed on the app every time the device is touched which is a bit annoying. I’d like to lock the device so only the app can be displayed? Is that possible on any Android OS?

Are you running the latest version of the application? It’s full screen and only shows back buttons if you pull down from the top or see a dialog. That’s about as immersive as you can get with Android applications. I think there are some 3rd party applications that put applications in a kiosk mode, but not sure which I would recommend.

Working perfectly now - and my screen is rotated :slight_smile:

Beeping still doesn’t work but I’m sure the new buzzer will fix that. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Try an externally powered speaker. Maybe your buzzer is dead, check the positive/negative cables are not reversed also.

New buzzer works. Now I just have to work out how to mount this on the wall in the entrance hall where there’s no power…

Thanks for sticking with me.

Steve

1 Like

Hello,

I just tryed the android app and it works fine.
The only thing I don’t like is that everyone can go into the settings screen if the alarm is disarmed and change things and even see my mqtt password.
Any chance you can put an admin password on the setting screen?

Thankyou,

EW

Ok, I will think about it, thanks for the feedback.

+1 for that, would love to hide the settings :slight_smile: Thanks again for your hard work and great app.

This feature should be available now in that latest release. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

1 Like

Thanks for the very fast update :slight_smile:

Is it possible to use a different code if you want to enter the setting menu, like an admin code? I don’t like it that my users can enter the setting menu…

Thanks again for the great work!!

Erik

Excellent thank you!

I was thinking about the “multiple pin code possibility” for different members of the family.

For example when I enter MY pin 1234 it sends an additional MQTT message telling has its me that entered the pin (e.g /homeassistant/alarmpanel/user/mehome ON) or when my wife enters HER pin 4321 (e.g /homeassistant/alarmpanel/user/wifehome)

At the moment I already have this by using device trackers for 4 different people (Bluetooth BLE, Owntracks, Life360 & nmap for mobile devices on WiFi)

This also arms and disarms the alarm when empty or someone comes home (instant disarm with BLE)

The alarm panel is kind of a fail over should there be a problem with a device tracker, a false trigger or a method for visitors if we’re not home(someone comes home but home assistant doesn’t know they’re present)

Would be a nice feature to identify WHO entered the pin by issuing each user a unique PIN.

Hope that makes sense. And thank again for the fast update!

When complete, the application will take a photo and send it using some service, that is my vision anyways. Multiple pins gets a bit hectic as well as having two different codes, one to enter settings, another to disable the alarm. There is a trade off between usability and having too many options.

1 Like

Hi,
Great project, thanks for sharing.
I was able to set it up and the issue I have is that I can’t disarm the alarm from the raspberry pi touchscreen ,when I hit the arm home or arm away icon nothing happened , I’m supposed to get the keypad to enter my code but nothing happened.
the only way to disarm is through HA , any idea what am I doing wrong?
Thanak you

Doesn’t sound like you have it setup correctly. There is no keyboard to enter your code on the RPi3, it’s a dialog as shown in the screen shots. It’s sound a lot like there is a connection issue between the Pi and HA. Maybe check that you are running the correct component. You should have the MQTT manual component running in HA.

Then check the application settings to be sure you have the same MQTT broker IP and port as HA setup. It’s an actual IP address.

I’m using the build 1.3.6 I uploaded yesterday to GitHub and all seems to be fine.

Thank you for the quick response,
I’m not getting that dialog box that enables me to put the code to disable the alarm.
I checked all the settings and they all match.
I’m able to arm the alarm but the only way to disarm is through HA and it updates the pi.
I checked the mqtt messages and all looks good.
Do I have to set the code in HA too?
Like:
Code: 1234

Great work on this project! Although I’m not using the raspberry setup I am using your Andriod app. I am having a problem with your latest version from the store, I keep getting the error “Failed to connect using the following broker and port:” although the setting are correct. I check another Andriod phone I have it setup with your previous version and it is working
perfectly well, only the upgraded one is having issues.

The Andriod that is working is a Nexus 6P and the one that isn’t working is 1+3T. Let me know if you need additional information to troubleshoot.