MQTT Allow anonymous login

Hi.
I’ve been using Home Assistant for a while in a Docker container, and I also had a mosquito broker set up in another container. I managed to set up the MQTT integration and everything worked just fine.
Recently, however, I decided to try out a supervised installation of Home Assistant. I used the Add-on store to install the mosquito broker, however, it seems like clients cannot subscribe to topics anymore.

Here’s what I get when I test the MQTT broker using the following command: mosquitto_sub -h 192.168.0.12 -t 'some/topic' -d

Client (null) sending CONNECT
Client (null) received CONNACK (0)
Client (null) sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: some/topic, QoS: 0, Options: 0x00)
Client (null) received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 128
Client (null) sending DISCONNECT
All subscription requests were denied.

I did a bit of googling and found out that I had to log in using a username and password (just added -u my_username -P my_password to the command above). And just like that, I was able to connect to the broker and subscribe to topics.
The thing is, that I would like to be able to use the MQTT broker without logging in with an account. My configuration is this:

logins: []
customize:
  active: false
  folder: mosquitto
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
require_certificate: false
anonymous: true

I read on some forum that there’s an anonymous option, however, it does not seem to do anything.
I do understand that it’s safer to have some kind of authentication, but still, I would like to disable it.
Is there any way to do it?

1 Like

you need to edit mosquito server config file to allow unathenticated login

allow_anonymous true

1 Like

Where exactly can I find that config?
I only found these two:

/usr/share/hassio/addons/core/mosquitto/rootfs/usr/share/tempiomosquitto.gtpl
/usr/share/hassio/addons/core/zwave/rootfs/etc/mosquitto.conf

But adding allow_anonymous true to either of these does not change anything. I tried restarting the mosquito addon as well as restarting Home Assistant completely.

mosquitto.conf

it may currently exist in file and be commented out…OR you may need to add it as new entry

This is the content of /usr/share/hassio/addons/core/zwave/rootfs/etc/mosquitto.conf:

##
# defaults
listener 1883
user root

##
# logging
log_dest stdout

##
# datastore
persistence true
persistence_location /data/

##
# auth
allow_anonymous true
password_file /data/auth.db

# Dynamic config

As you can see, allow_anonymous is true, yet this makes no difference.

Try comment out password file

And restart the MQTT after

Like this?

##
# defaults
listener 1883
user root

##
# logging
log_dest stdout

##
# datastore
persistence true
persistence_location /data/

##
# auth
allow_anonymous true
#password_file /data/auth.db

# Dynamic config

This doesn’t work either.
I should also add that I just noticed something. Last night I left the file content like I shown in my previous comment. This morning I read your comment and when I opened the mosquitto config, I noticed that the file was “reset”. allow_anonymous was set to false, and I definitely left that on true last night.

Edit: I just found this https://community.home-assistant.io/t/mqtt-anonymous-connect/338208/2?u=br0kenpixel. Apparently it’s not possible to allow anonymous login.

Edit 2: I managed to do it like this:

• I created the following file: /share/mosquitto/acl.conf (/share can be accessed through SMB)
  • Set the contents of /share/mosquitto/acl.conf to acl_file /share/mosquitto/accesscontrollist (Just this, nothing else)
  • I created the following file: /share/mosquitto/accesscontrollist
  • Set the contents of /share/mosquitto/accesscontrollist to topic readwrite # (Just this, nothing else)
  • Set active in the customize section to true (In the configuration tab)
  • Restarted the broker

Now, I can subscribe/publish without logging in:
mosquitto_sub -h 192.168.0.12 -t 'some/topic' -d:

Client (null) sending CONNECT
Client (null) received CONNACK (0)
Client (null) sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: some/topic, QoS: 0, Options: 0x00)
Client (null) received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 0
Client (null) received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'some/topic', ... (12 bytes))
Test message

Edit: Warning! This may cause the MQTT integration to stop receiving MQTT messages. In case if you experience such behavior, go to Configuration > Integrations > (MQTT Broker) Configure > Reconfigure MQTT. Here, if you have a username/password set, delete them (make sure to back it up into a text file or something just to be on the safe side. Save the configuration and the issue should be fixed.

1 Like

Hello, where can I found mosquitto.conf?

I don´t have any hassio folder.

I am using Home Assistant OS 7.6

I’m in the same boat - and I found the “configuration” for Mosquitto is:

Settings > Add-Ons > Mosquitto Broker > Configuration tab > … three dots > Edit in YAML

My guess is that you add the lines -

logins: []
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
customize:
  active: false
  folder: mosquitto
  anonymous: true

Although I just modified my connections to include username/password - which is best practice anyway.

did you manage to solve it like this? It doesn’t work for me, not even creating the two files in share/mosquitto/

anonymous login is disabled in the mosquitto add-on so you know:

I used the tip there emqx

2 Likes