MQTT climate intended use of target_temp_high / target_temp_low

I’ve cobbled together an MQTT climate entity out of an IR-controlled heat pump, some custom MQTT topics, and many automations. It works well enough. But I can’t figure out what the intended use of the target_temp_high and target_temp_low parameters of the climate.set_temperature service are. They sound straightforward enough, the docs don’t really help me understand their intent.

I think I want to be able to use them, especially with the additions to the component in 0.92. Can anyone help me understand how they’re intended to be used?

Hrm…does no replies mean that nobody else knows how to use these either?

My best guess is this:

It represents a ‘temperature range’ as opposed to a target temperature which is a single threshold.

If the operation mode is auto, the thermostat will automatically switch between cool or heat to remain within the temperature range.

Let’s say the range is 21C (low) to 24C (high). If ambient indoor temperature is below 21, the thermostat will call for heating. If the ambient temperature is above 24, the thermostat calls for cooling. If the ambient temperature is anywhere between 21 and 24, the thermostat does nothing (idle).

That’s kind of what I thought as well, but does that make ‘temperature’ mutually exclusive with (‘target_temp_high’, ‘target_temp_low’)? I’d love to hear from the author of the component, or at least somebody who’s actually using them.