MQTT HVAC with Google Home

Hi All,

I have a Midea AC unit which until a couple months back worked flawlessly via WiFi. Except now it doesn’t, and since nobody Hase found a solution to he problem. I decided to create my own solution with an ESP8266 controller and an IR led.

So far I have everything working, very smoothly. I configured the climate component to use MQTT as you can see below:

climate:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Woonkamer
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "auto"
      - "cool"
      - "heat"
      - "dry"
      - "fan_only"
    swing_modes:
      - "on"
      - "off"
    fan_modes:
      - "high"
      - "medium"
      - "low"
      - "auto"
    power_command_topic: "woonkamer/ac/power/set"
    mode_command_topic: "woonkamer/ac/mode/set"
    temperature_command_topic: "woonkamer/ac/temperature/set"
    fan_mode_command_topic: "woonkamer/ac/fan/set"
    swing_mode_command_topic: "woonkamer/ac/swing/set"
    current_temperature_topic: "woonkamer/ac/temperature/room"
    precision: 1.0

Now I have a Nuba casa account so I can acces everything outside the house. I also exposed the climate.woonkamer to google assistant so I can control it with my google home device.
But After syncing devices it is displayed as an thermostat, I only have the option to set the mode to heating/cooling, On/Off.
Is there A way to display it as an actual AC unit so I can use most if not all of the options.

regards Jordy

Video of the esp8266 working: https://www.facebook.com/jordy.kleian/videos/10223014299851867/

Video of limited voice control:

Hi Jordy, which WiFi control option did you use before? Have you seen the new esphome integration? Works fine here. Just one thing is missing: turning off the display. Did you manage to control the display over IR?
Mind sharing your IR information/code/hardware setup?
Thanks!