MQTT not connecting to remote devices

I have moved across from home assistant to Hassio.

I have a used the built-in hassio mqqt broker, installed successfully and locally connected to it.

However none of my remote devices connect to it, none of them have user name and password, and tbh by the time I learn about that, they were already inaccessible :frowning:

Is there anything else I need to provide, or does anyone know what silly mistake i have made?

a switch for example is:

- platform: mqtt
    name: "Flood Light Switch"
    state_topic: "switch/boys/floods"
    command_topic: "switch/boys/floods"
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"
    state_on: "ON"
    state_off: "OFF"
    optimistic: false
    retain: true

and a sensor is

- platform: mqtt
  name: Landing Temperature
  state_topic: "Landing/temp"
  unit_of_measurement: 'Ā°C'
  device_class: temperature

my original set up was Home Assistant, MQTT and node-red operating in Docker containers.

I was then moving the entire set up across to hassio, so copied across all flows, and copied across the home assistant config files across to hassio and set up the MQTT broker on hassio.

I have not changed any of the configurations, so no name changes etc.

i can connect to the broker using MQTTBox, and shows as connected in the MQTT log:

1574894092: New connection from 192.168.1.107 on port 1883.
1574894092: New client connected from 192.168.1.107 as 4a906583-97c9-4664-ac3f-115313f00a381574894092786 (p2, c1, k10)

but it will not receive or send data to the broker, or atlest but publish and subscribing to the same topic, i do not get a response when sending.
Many thanks

Do you mean mosquitto?

Define ā€œremoteā€ - are the devices on your lan, or remote as in somewhere outside your lan (eg your holiday lan)

If you use the mosquitto hassio addon then I think the clients need to authenticate.

Sorry yes

[quote]

As in on the lan

[quote]

Thatā€™s what I was afraid of, some are too buried to easily access to update.

Thanks for you help, I may need to look as running mosquito as a stand alone service.

You can just re-install mosquitto and then configure it just like your old broker. The only issue might be the ip address of the broker unless you made sure your hassio install had the same IP address as your old setup.

Isnā€™t that what DNS is for?

Yes, if you have that set up.

I donā€™t use dns for anything directly on my home LAN. Itā€™s all IP based.

You know DNS has been around for a long timeā€¦ since around 1983. It is, frankly, silly in this day and age to use IP addresses when you can DNS with ease.

Eh, my way works for me. And itā€™s not something else I have to learn/maintain. So Iā€™m OK with that.