MQTT sensor that is showing "Unknown" instead of Text value returned in JSON

I have a weather station/ pool control and testing system/ yard automation system that I have designed and built. I am transmitting an MQTT JSON package to a broker. I have created a manual MQTT sensor in HA. (the MQTT.yaml file is below) I then created a file containing all of the sensors. (the template.yaml file is below) All of the sensors that return a number of some type (i.e. float and int) work just fine. However, the one sensor that returns a text value is only showing “unknown”. ( screenshot below of the values)

I assume there is something wrong with the “State” line in the “template.yaml” file for that sensor. I have tried searching the great “World Wide Web” for an answer with no real success. I need help figuring this one out.

Capture

MQTT.yaml
sensor:

- name: "Taigh Gheal Mor"
  state_topic: "hatsconsys/ath/status"
  json_attributes_topic: "hatsconsys/ath/sensors"

template.yaml

Taigh Gheal Mor

sensor:

- name: "Wind Speed"
  state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.taigh_gheal_mor', 'wind') | float | round(1) }}"
  icon: mdi:weather-windy
  unit_of_measurement: "mph"

- name: "Wind Direction"
  state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.taigh_gheal_mor', 'dir') }}"
  icon: mdi:compass
  unit_of_measurement: ""

What’s the MQTT payload?

I am sorry for the delay. I have been out of town on vacation. Below is the json with the sensors and readings.

{“temp”: 39.02, “humidity”: 55.1, “pressure”: 1015.75, “wind”: 0.0, “gust”: 1.79, “dir”: “E”, “rainh”: 0.0, “raind”: 0.0, “rainw”: 0.143, “rainm”: 0.0, “rainyr”: 0.0}