Msg from a ui_slider to a call-service-node

My ui-slider sends selected values as payload.
How do I configure a call-service-node to save the value to a input_number data type.

The call-service-node want’s data in payload.data.value but I need it to accept data coming in as first level in payload. I could make a change or function node move the data to where the call-service-node expects it, but it’s not needed, I just can’t figure out how to set the Data field in the call-service-node correctly.
Any suggestions on how to do that.

//

Can you post a screen cap of your flow? I’m not sure I understand what you are asking.

If I understand correctly, you want to use the call-service node to update an input_number entity? If that’s the case, this should help:

Now you again code-in-progress ! :slight_smile:
This time, as last time, you are just spot on with your answer.

1 Like

LOL Glad I could help!

It’s actually great help. I’m relatively new to Ha and Node-Red (as you probably already have figured out) and this little puzzle was driving me crazy.
After posting my question, I just went on and placed change Nodes in front of all my call-service-nodes (and I have a lot). Now, thanks to you, I have to redo all that work :smiley:

No seriously, it’s great help. I used all my afternoon trying to solve it, before placing my post.

1 Like

I’ve totally been there. When I first picked up on NodeRed shortly after it’s 0.20 release, I swore I would NEVER touch it again. Then I gave it another chance. Now, I use it for everything, not just home automation. Log shipping? Yup. Backups of various devices? Yup. Scraping web pages? Yup. Hell, I’ve even been known to do some wonky GraphQL stuff in it for work.

So, trust me when I say, stick with it. HA, the same thing. It’s looks a lot more complicated than it is (Ok, some parts are way over-complicated, but whatever).

Always glad to be of help.

Is there any documentation on this subject I could use. Right now I’m trying to figure out what other Nodes that can be “controlled” by incoming messages. Like for instance the Stop timer Node. If it’s timer setting could set by the incoming message, I would be able to have messages paused individually with just one Stop timer node.

Pretty much every node has some sort of documentation. This is the documentation for StopTimer3: https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-stoptimer3.

There’s a couple of different ways to accomplish what you want. Stoptimer3 would be at the top of the list, but I don’t know if it handles multiple message topics. The trigger node does handle multiple topics, but it isn’t configurable in terms of being able to change the duration using an input. So, you might need to use a combination of stoptimer3 with a switch node or something like that.