Home Assistant Community

Multi room audio that allows voice notifications to be mixed in

Is anyone aware of any applications or setups that would allow multi room audio where I can be playing music or some content (most likely from a cloud streaming service ie. spotify) and then have home assistant play a TTS notification and have it either mute the music or lower the volume of it while it plays the notification.

I was hoping to do something with a few pi’s and the hifiberry dacs but haven’t been able to find out how to do the audio mixing side of things.

0 Likes

I’m also very interested in this. I found something about Forked-daapd for multiroom audio. In combination with Shairport I’m thinking it would work. I don’t know about the TTS though… lets see what others will come up with.

0 Likes

I did see one post vaguely mentioning something about alsa dmix but it didnt have enough detail for me to piece together how it worked.

0 Likes

Google homes will do this. I have 4 setup. You can play music to all. Also get notification via H A. Works great. Cheap solution with Google home minis and you can add more as needed.

0 Likes

I think Sonos had a pause and resume service type thing, and as mentioned above Google home devices can do this, but chromecast audios don’t support it.

0 Likes

last time i tried it wouldnt mix in the notifications and it would just stop whatever it was playing and then play the notification and not resume the previous music

0 Likes

This works for me with Echo (Alexa) as a Media Player custom component, amazon music unlimited and echo input into my whole house audio system. It lowers the music volume, plays the notification, then raises volume.

0 Likes

Ah OK not sure about resuming audio. Will have to test that.

0 Likes

There are basically two ways to send messages to Google Homes from HA.

Broadcast - goes to all google homes, can’t select specific ones, not compatible with chromecasts, will resume previous audio, uses google assistant TTS.

Send TTS messages from HA - can choose where to send it, uses whatever HA TTS setup you have, creates an MP3 and sends it to the device, doesn’t resume audio.

I’m currently using node-red to do something similar to the second option using a wavenet node (for better voices) and a cast node to send to the device. Not bothered about restarting music though and I think that would be difficult to manage.

0 Likes

I don’t know any that does that. The consensus with Google Home seems to be saving the current state of the media_player, send the tts notification, then restore what was playing by restoring from backed up state

0 Likes