Multiple interfaces in the same time

Hi guys,

one big question. Does home assistant support multiple network interfaces?
There are several topics where this is asked, but there is no official statement. And I wonder if there is a reason for the following scenario? Is it work as design or there is bug somewhere?
I can setup multiple interfaces, but they don’t work in the same time. If I unplug one the other will take over and when the first one is restored the second one is disabled. More like a redundancy feature. But for a short period of time they do work in the same time.
Anyhow I would like to use both of them in the same time since my users are on a different network than the one were the controlled devices are. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

How are you trying to use them? Bonded on the same network? Active, active on different networks?

I do not belive HAOS can bond network interfacesm so you wll have to use another installation type for that.

Active on same network would not make sense for HAOS, since this would only realy be usefull with two services that are hardcoded to the same port, but have the option to bind to a specific network interface.

Active on different networks is just stupid.
Use the router for that instead and set up the correct NAT’ing (portforward), which give better control anyway.

I need active active on two different networks. And it works like that for a short period of time. I suppose there is something in the background that disables and enables one network.
No, it is not stupid, I can’t join those networks they are physically separated.

If HA is on both networks, then they will not be physically separated.
If both networks have internet access, then they will not be physically separated.
Trying to segment networks by moving them to different (V)LANs and then use HA as a router is like closing the window but leaving the front door unlocked and open.

1 Like

One has internet and one does not. I do not plan to use hass as a router, it has one leg in lan 1 and one leg in lan 2. I want to control the devices from lan 1 from lan 2. Basically I want to serve only the webserver in lan 2, nothing else.
I repeat, it is working for a few seconds. I would like to know why it is disabled afer that time.

The webserver will be served on both nets, because that is HA and that means it is a router.

No, routers are much more than devices that are connected to two networks.

@bogdan see if this is any help

If you use Proxmox you can define more than one interface for your VM. And then in HA it will be displayed like this.

@FriedCheese thank you, I have tried that already, but for me it is a little different, I have both Connected. I think something is disabling the traffic trough the second lan and not the port itself. I will check it further.
@doubleUS yes, it is the same for a PC, I can see all the NIC’s there. I have 3 entries there, double port network card and one onboard lan port. But configuring that will not change anything.

OK, managed to clarify this. It’s all related to the metrics… the metrics on the second card is way higher than the first one, probably to force the traffic trough the first one, so changing the metrics with a lower value closer to the first one will “enable” traffic on the second one as well.
for example:

ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev enp0s18 metric 5

That should have no effect.
Metrics are used to determine what interface is used and it is all or nothing, so the one with the lowest metric will always be used as long as it is active.
It is not a percentage or weighted setting.

1 Like

Well for me it works… you should try it and let me know why it works

Only reason why it should work would be due to misconfigured interfaces, so multiple interfaces where set up to same subnet.